Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    502 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been saying all along that my P238's are "honey, I shunk the 1911" but now I see that they are "1911-like" but not true miniature ones.
    I recall Sig marketing using the term "1911 styling." But the lack of a grip safety means it is not compliant with the 1911 platform. For reasons worthy of a separate thread, this is an important difference.

Mine is a 938, and feels the same in-hand as the 238. It is a great tack driver and shoots well. But for carry, I want to "upgrade" to a "real" 1911 as soon as budget allows the change.

Getting back to your new acquisition, curious to know what your trigger pull gauge shows on your Browning. How many pounds is the pull?
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Unrepentant chocoholic ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    458 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DogWalksWithMe View Post
    I recall Sig marketing using the term "1911 styling." But the lack of a grip safety means it is not compliant with the 1911 platform. For reasons worthy of a separate thread, this is an important difference.

Mine is a 938, and feels the same in-hand as the 238. It is a great tack driver and shoots well. But for carry, I want to "upgrade" to a "real" 1911 as soon as budget allows the change.

Getting back to your new acquisition, curious to know what your trigger pull gauge shows on your Browning. How many pounds is the pull?
    In the store the gauge showed 6 pounds, right out of the box. There is a card with HUGE type face in the very front of the plastic bag containing the owner's stuff that says DO NOT DRY FIRE. Not even, "it's OK once in a while." Just DO NOT. We stopped at the local hardware store to buy yellow wall anchors and they don't carry them anymore. I can't find the bag of them that I had for my .22 revolver. Am going to have to run all over town looking at other hardware store or order some snap caps from Amazon.

That, combined with the wait for extra magazines which will be about 2 weeks minimum, is keeping me from having much fun with the gun right now.
    @Blackhawkgirl - this gun is only "slightly metal." I can understand why they used SO much plastic - to keep the weight down because the thing is only 14 ounces - but it doesn't feel like a real 1911 even though it's made that way with all the parts. No way could I handle holding and shooting a 34 oz. gun so this was my option. Old age is NOT fun.
    If you think changes need to be made - get out and DO SOMETHING positive!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    740 Post(s)
    Hello Granny ,,, I have the Browning and from what I remember about the trigger is that its a bit gritty,, its an easy fix,, if you are looking at .22s,, take a look at the Sig 1911 .22 and the GSG 1911 .22,,, I have them both on hold waiting for me to pick up,, I like them and they are both pretty much identical... I will also be asking 1MGG if I can do a contest and give away 1 or 2 Taurus G2s,, I got a deal so I bought 4 of them, I was very surprised of how good the gun felt in the hand and with its accuracy.. I kept one and already gave one away,, so I have 2 left that need a good home....
    Nonsensical Gibberish Talkin Clown,,, Das Me,,,, hehehehe.....

Thinking about it Over_Cogitate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Did we just have a Hammer sighting? I thought he was being detained in Canoodia somewhere...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    171 Post(s)
    I have a Browning 1911-.22 and I love it. I bought an IWB leather holster for it and carry it while cycling and in the woods when hiking or fishing. It is not a tack driver, but it is accurate enough. I have the Medallion Compact. Like it so much I'm thinking about getting the .380.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    458 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer1270 View Post
    Hello Granny ,,, I have the Browning and from what I remember about the trigger is that its a bit gritty,, its an easy fix,, if you are looking at .22s,, take a look at the Sig 1911 .22 and the GSG 1911 .22
    I haven't shot my Browning enough to get a real feel of the trigger except that for that first 10 shots it seemed to feel OK, whatever that is. Remembering that I wear shooting gloves, that can make a difference in whether I sense any grittiness or not. It is not a heavy pull though, and I was concerned about that.

I bet the young girls (and maybe the man also) who work in that new lgs in town will have some dinner time fun talking about that really old lady who came in to pick up her new .22 and whipped out her big, long trigger gauge from her purse! (Not that I could have rejected a special order gun, but I had to know right then and there what I was actually getting!)

Every other 1911-22 I looked at weighed around 34 ounces and that is way too heavy for me for my intended use, which at this point is a lot of range shooting and some club competition shoots. And with what has happened to my hands, strength, endurance, etc. I have to be aware that sometime in the future if I am still here and able to shoot at all, I may be reduced to having to carry a .22. That's another reason to buy light weight guns now.

It is also the reason I paid extra for the model with the fiber optic sights. The man in the store got out a plastic .22 magnum with fiber optic sights so I could aim it to see what they were like. That was "an eye opener!" Yes, I really DO like them a lot! They are teeny, tiny dots but sure do stand out.

A side comment: That "x" brand plastic .22 magnum that he pulled from the display case was a good size gun, with 30 round magazine, but it weighed practically nothing at all. I shudder to think of the recoil. Gramps had an LCR .22 magnum for a short time, so I'm familiar with the "shock wave" effect if you are standing a few feet to the side of one being cranked off at an indoor range...when the cranker person is in the last booth next to the cement side wall of the building.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    I got one. Love it.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    458 Post(s)

Progress report - sort of

Took her out again today and shot 80 rounds. Gramps shot 20. NO PICTURES yet because I'm getting acquainted with her and my targets are not something I want to share at this point. If I don't get any better I'll post the pictures. However I started shooting high and right about 1" to 1 1/2" and thought perhaps the rear sight might need to be moved. But it is already a little to the right of middle.

So I did a flat out newbie thing and moved to 3 yards. Well, I'll say that was MUCH better, but I can't recall ever shooting that close except in one hand, up and out and shoot as fast as you can drills. Since I still have only the one magazine, the break time between magazines didn't help a lot either. As I shot more my groups got better and it wasn't the sight alignment. It was the shooter. In fact, Gramps was shooting a lot higher than I was and he is a VERY good shot!

I didn't realize that the trigger on the Browning is STIFF until I used up the .22 ammo I brought and switched to my P238 Scorpion which is my main carry gun these days. OH MY! My first few shots went off a bit before I intended with that SO SMOOTH trigger on the SIG. I am going to have to pay very close attention to how long the travel is on the Browning, and also to exactly where I'm placing my finger on the trigger.

I am hoping the trigger on this 1911-22 will smooth out after a few hundred more rounds.

This gun is so different in many ways that it is going to take me several/many trips to the range to get comfortable and as accurate as I wish to be with it. Even figuring how to get my support hand positioned properly with that very skinny grip is a bit of a challenge. Wearing gloves helps a little with that part.

I do hope to have pictures to post before another month goes by.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    616 Post(s)
    Took her out again today and shot 80 rounds. Gramps shot 20. NO PICTURES yet because I'm getting acquainted with her and my targets are not something I want to share at this point. If I don't get any better I'll post the pictures. However I started shooting high and right about 1" to 1 1/2" and thought perhaps the rear sight might need to be moved. But it is already a little to the right of middle.

So I did a flat out newbie thing and moved to 3 yards. Well, I'll say that was MUCH better, but I can't recall ever shooting that close except in one hand, up and out and shoot as fast as you can drills. Since I still have only the one magazine, the break time between magazines didn't help a lot either. As I shot more my groups got better and it wasn't the sight alignment. It was the shooter. In fact, Gramps was shooting a lot higher than I was and he is a VERY good shot!

I didn't realize that the trigger on the Browning is STIFF until I used up the .22 ammo I brought and switched to my P238 Scorpion which is my main carry gun these days. OH MY! My first few shots went off a bit before I intended with that SO SMOOTH trigger on the SIG. I am going to have to pay very close attention to how long the travel is on the Browning, and also to exactly where I'm placing my finger on the trigger.

I am hoping the trigger on this 1911-22 will smooth out after a few hundred more rounds.

This gun is so different in many ways that it is going to take me several/many trips to the range to get comfortable and as accurate as I wish to be with it. Even figuring how to get my support hand positioned properly with that very skinny grip is a bit of a challenge. Wearing gloves helps a little with that part.

A close friend got one little over a year ago. He wasn't to happy with the trigger. Said is was way to heavy. He took it to good gun-smith and he did his magic on it. Long story, my friend has been very happy with it. Best of luck.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    413 Post(s)

I went to a newbie class a couple of months ago, just to bring along a newbie friend. I figured I would be mostly bored and learn a little. When it came to live fire, we started at 3 yards, and I silently scoffed at it. But as the instructor said, sometimes it is good to "reign it in" and work on reinforcing basic technique. Not everything happens at 15 yards! I was very surprised about how helpful "reigning it in" to 3 yards can be to do every now and then!

Glad you are getting the feel. I hope the trigger breaks in well and as a couple of people have said, it can be tweaked. It sounds like you are not having issues with mis-feeds or anything, that is a good thing, especially in a new gun!
    Contact your reps about restrictive gun laws->https://act.nraila.org/
    Lady Shooters! PM me if you would like to join a female private firearms sub-group!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    458 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawkgirl View Post
    It sounds like you are not having issues with mis-feeds or anything, that is a good thing, especially in a new gun!
    I DID have one time when the slide didn't lock back when the magazine was emptied. The last round in the mag fired and was ejected and the slide returned to battery instead of locking back. Not good. One out of 10 mags full not terribly bad but it better NOT keep happening!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    458 Post(s)

Here she is

I take terrible pictures anyway, and my excuse for this blurry one is having to hold my hand out and parallel to my body while at the same time trying to focus and hold the camera still and press the button with my right hand.

But, here she is:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018 Sept Browning 1911-22 A.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	16617

The grip panels are supposed to be gray wood but they are standard dark brown and black. I would like the gun a lot better if the panels were gray and black! However, after just spending another $105 on 4 more magazines I'm not inclined to try to find some G10 panels in light gray and black right now. Have to learn to shoot the gun properly first!

As stated before, I had to get the one with the gray slide in order to get the fiber optic sights.
    Last edited by ShooterGranny; September 28th, 2018 at 07:27 PM. Reason: additional information

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    413 Post(s)
    I DID have one time when the slide didn't lock back when the magazine was emptied. The last round in the mag fired and was ejected and the slide returned to battery instead of locking back. Not good. One out of 10 mags full not terribly bad but it better NOT keep happening!
    There is one type of ammo that my full sized 1911 does not like. It is Blazer Brass 115 in 9mm. It shoots the ammo fine, but it does the same thing as yours, does not lock back after the last round. I do not have that problem with any other ammo. I suspect the Blazer is just a bit softer shooting than American Eagle. I am using high end Wilson Combat magazines and the OEM Colt magazines. It happens with both, so I do not think it is the magazines.

I have been told that break in would help and also cleaning. I am feeling like my 1911 is very nicely breaking in, but the Blazer just is not the ammo for this gun. I am going to be trading my remaining 9mm Blazer for American Eagle with a friend of mine. I love this gun and would not consider trading it simply because the cheapest possible ammo does not lock it back.

Did yours fail to lock back on the Aguila or the CCI? Keep in mind, that .22 lr ammo can be less consistent than larger calibers. If I were defensive carrying with .22 lr, I would keep CCI Stingers in the gun. Lots of "pop" and I bet there would be no slide issues.
    Contact your reps about restrictive gun laws->https://act.nraila.org/
    Lady Shooters! PM me if you would like to join a female private firearms sub-group!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    458 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawkgirl View Post
    Did yours fail to lock back on the Aguila or the CCI? Keep in mind, that .22 lr ammo can be less consistent than larger calibers. If I were defensive carrying with .22 lr, I would keep CCI Stingers in the gun. Lots of "pop" and I bet there would be no slide issues.
    Given the total "hate" that my Mark IV Lite had for Aguila, I'm not even going to try the Aguila in this new Browning until after I have put at least 300 or 400 rounds of CCI Mini Mags through her.

I feel very fortunate that my M&P .22 compact does fine with the Aguila because I still have a few thousand rounds of it.

You're right about IF I had to use .22 for carry, which ammo I would use. I have had the CCI mini mags rounds not go off even though the edge had a dent in it. Very few times, but it doesn't take many to not trust that ammo with your life.