Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handgun nomenclature - does it matter?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1178 Post(s)
    I don't really care when it is someone who doesn't know a lot about guns. I really care when it's someone using a term to fool people to help possibly take their rights. The term that has chapped my hide the most, in the last couple years, is full semi auto.

So, I guess my answer is a lot like OV's underwear...depends.

I know, back of the line

NUTS! Gen. McAuliffe Stumpkiller's Avatar
    Upstate NY in the headlands of the foothills
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    326 Post(s)
    Interestingly, when I applied for my unrestricted (concealed carry) pistol permit I was coached by my instructor to just use "pistol" or "gun" rather than "handgun" or "firearm" and certainly not use "weapon" in the letter that had to be sent to the judge. He claimed it was better to be thought of as a gun owner rather than a firearm aficionado.

Play dumb.

It can be an effective tactic at times.
    Every word of God is pure; He is a Shield (TM) unto them that put their trust in Him. Proverbs 30:5
    In training to be the forum's assistant deputy backup curmudgeon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)
    There are loads of misidentified things in life, but when it comes to firearms it seems like a lot of the misinformation or wrong labeling has become mainstream.

Before I actually got a semi automatic pistol of my own, I used to think the magazine was a "clip." The wrong terminology had been slung around so long that it became true. I did however learn the correct term, but also was aware that both terms are interchangeable.

It does kind of irk me about it though, the media won't go to any lengths to correct it.
    Duct Tape. It's like The Force. It has a Light Side and a Dark Side and it binds The Universe together.
    Age and treachery will overcome youth and skill every time!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    866 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are loads of misidentified things in life, but when it comes to firearms it seems like a lot of the misinformation or wrong labeling has become mainstream.

Before I actually got a semi-automatic pistol of my own, I used to think the magazine was a "clip." The wrong terminology had been slung around so long that it became true. I did however learn the correct term, but also was aware that both terms are interchangeable.

It does kind of irk me about it though, the media won't go to any lengths to correct it.
    Exactly. Non-Fiction, officials speaking on a platform for gun issues, media, and activists need to use the correct terms. Everyone else, who cares. Films and books are for entertainment. I think if a persons PO meter peaks while reading a novel, you need to get your blood pressure checked and see a physician
    Last edited by Siam; October 11th, 2018 at 08:38 AM.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1878 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakyak View Post
    So, I guess my answer is a lot like OV's underwear...depends.

I know, back of the line
    You make the assumption I wear underwear. And now you're not allowed in line.

I was reading a W.E.B. Griffin novel once, and he wrote about the character "cocked his Glock pistol."

Now I read a lot of Griffin's novels, and adopted some of his style into my own writings, but I know better than to cock a Glock.
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    I am a WW II buff, so I get irritated when novels or historians get nomenclature wrong. Also, I like police procedurals and hard core detective novels. It is irksome when the author does not know what he is talking about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    Love the Pistol handle and the clip pic almost as much as your sense of humor SG! Thank you for the chortle.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1178 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

I was reading a W.E.B. Griffin novel once, and he wrote about the character "cocked his Glock pistol."

Now I read a lot of Griffin's novels, and adopted some of his style into my own writings, but I know better than to cock a Glock.
    The commando Curmudgeon eh?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    602 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

Seems to me that I was rereading one of Griffin's novels and he referred to a magazine as a clip. I still enjoyed the novel.
    TANSTAAFL - "Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
    OldVet, 30 March 2018: "But being the agreeable sort, I agree."