Love Love:  0
Laugh Out Loud Laugh Out Loud:  0

Thread: Finally got to the range today without a student in tow!

Unrepentant chocoholic Rep Power: 100
    Rep Level: PDF Constitution Protector
    Threads
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    847 Post(s)

Finally got to the range today without a student in tow!

It was a perfect day: 68 degrees, gentle breeze and mostly sunshine. Would everyone else have the same idea and the range be super crowded? Possibly, but I was determine to go in any case. As it turned out, when we got there, there were 3 groups on the upper range and only one man on the lower range. He was just finishing up so we had that big range to ourselves for a while. (The upper range is most popular because there is a covered pavilion and a series of target stands, plus two sets of steel plates off to the side of the pavilion.)

The last 3 times I've been to the range have been with the Women's League, serving as teacher and safety officer, or one trip with a newbie. I get to do some shooting, but not much and mostly not what I really want to do which is practice shooting on the move.

Mostly I was shooting at 7 yards, but moved in closer and at angles for on the move shooting.

I did not save my targets because - not thinking of writing this report - I let Gramps paste new targets over used ones. Sorry, folks. Suffice it to say that I took more time with all of the head shots and they were all good ones, mostly center of the target. Even the medium size target on the body of the IDPA cardboard target looked good with both guns - although when I was shooting as I moved forward, backwards and sideways in either direction, several of the shots were "not exactly" in the middle.

I first shot the @*%# Ruger Mark IV Lite which I've written about several times in the past. This is the one that our friend came over to help install the Volquartsen accurizing trigger kit. Gramps took her out a few days ago and found that if you feed her only CCI mini mags she functions properly. As soon as you try to feed her Aguila Super Extra High Velocity she balks - FT Eject, stovepipes, etc.

The published velocity of the Aguila is 1255 ft/sec compared to the CCI mini mags 1260 ft/sec. There should not be any difference. But THERE IS!

Today I shot 70 rounds flawlessly through the Mark IV for the first time ever: Some small groups of 2 to 4 and some strings of 6 at a more rapid fire pace. SUCH a beautiful super light and smooth trigger pull, but mostly the fact that she functioned well, means I am reclaiming her for mine. Gramps can still use her if and when he chooses but that will be very rarely. So now the cuss marks will be removed from the front part of her name.

Then I shot 63 rounds through my Browning 1911-22: The one that went back to the factory because it was shooting VERY HIGH at all distances. I've posted about that one also. Today I fed her a steady diet of the Aguila and the slide locked back every time on empty - that's a new first. In the past sometimes it locked back and sometimes not. (There were 3 rounds left in the box, so why not finish it?)

This is a VERY NICE GUN indeed - now. Kind of funny: The first trigger pull seemed like the gun was malfunctioning because it wouldn't pull straight back......THEN I remembered that the SA trigger pull on this gun is closer to 6+ pounds which is twice as heavy as the one on the Mark IV. No problems of any kind from then on. What was really interesting is that my targets were as accurately shot as with the longer barrel Mark IV and the CCI rounds!

I felt very iffy for quite a while about this Browning and didn't think she would ever earn a personal name. I have a very special name reserved for a .22 that can earn it. When you shoot steel with a .22, instead of "clang" you get a higher pitched almost bell-like tone. The name is

ISABELLE RINGER (Belle for short - not quite the belle of the ball, but a very nice looking little 1911 in any case)

And today little Miss Browning earned the name - even though I didn't shoot any steel this day.

I took loaded magazines and Gramps reloaded as fast as I emptied them, so I could have shot another 100 rounds, but another small group came to use that lower range. We could have shared the range easily, but i figured I had accomplished what I went to do, so we chatted with them a while and then packed up our stuff and headed for home.

Home again, cleaned both guns and made supper.

A very good day, it was.
    Last edited by ShooterGranny; March 10th, 2019 at 07:32 PM. Reason: correct numbers
    Click here to find out how you can help a fellow PDF member
    https://www.personaldefenseforum.net...my-dear-friend

Asst. Administrator Rep Power: 100
    Rep Level: PDF American
    Threads
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1042 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ... found that if you feed her only CCI mini mags she functions properly. As soon as you try to feed her Aguila Super Extra High Velocity she balks - FT Eject, stovepipes, etc.

The published velocity of the Aguila is 1255 ft/sec compared to the CCI mini mags 1260 ft/sec. There should not be any difference. But THERE IS!
    Sounds like a good day!

Both rounds are also 40 gr, both are plated, really do look like they should work the same. The joys of .22lr... Some guns just like certain rounds.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Slow Country Boy Rep Power: 9
    Rep Level: PDF Militia
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Sounds like it was a great day SG. Hope you get a few more soon.
    US Army Vet
    GOA Member
    NRA Life Member

Curmudgeon Rep Power: 20
    Rep Level: PDF Gold Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2309 Post(s)
    My bolt-action .22 rifle, like an old, hungry dog, eats whatever served, so my MiniMags are reserved for my handguns. Just makes life easier that way.
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Threads
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1042 Post(s)
    Take a look at this image from:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Long_Rifle

My takeaways from this picture:

- Overall length of the cartridges vary

- Bullet lengths vary

- Length of cases also vary

If you have any rounds left of the various samples, does length of either the entire cartridge or the length of the case provide a hint for what your firearm likes or has a problem with? I think overall length or case length are more likely candidates for sensitivity than bullet length, but I do see all three as factors which might cause sensitivity in a particular firearm.

Threads
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    847 Post(s)

@DogWalksWithMe Interesting! The cartridges are the same length - visually. It would take a gauge to determine if there is a "silly milimeter difference" or not. BUT: the Aguila bullets are more rounded at the end and the CCI bullets come to more of a point. That could have an effect. Like some guns won't eat flat nose copper coated other calibers, but only round nose?

Threads
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1042 Post(s)
    Stand up the two cartridges on a flat table next to each other about an inch apart.

Set the middle of a 12" ruler on edge across them. Is the ruler closer to the table on one end or the other?

With the cartridges 1" apart, the difference at the ends of the 12" ruler "amplify" any difference in overall length 12 times.

Repeat with recovered brass to check if it is a case length difference.

Threads
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    847 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DogWalksWithMe View Post
    Stand up the two cartridges on a flat table next to each other about an inch apart.

Set the middle of a 12" ruler on edge across them. Is the ruler closer to the table on one end or the other?

With the cartridges 1" apart, the difference at the ends of the 12" ruler "amplify" any difference in overall length 12 times.

Maybe some day. I don't have any used .22 brass at the moment, and now that I know which of my guns will shoot the Aguila and which will not, I'm OK with that. Heck, my Glock 42 absolutely won't shoot .380 Privi Partisan, but my Bersa BP380cc ate it like candy.

Senior Member Rep Power: 11
    Threads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    832 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DogWalksWithMe View Post

I have some gauges that will work, too.
    TANSTAAFL - "Moon is a Harsh Mistress"

Junior Member Rep Power: 0
    Rep Level: New PDF Member

Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I took my Walther P22 and glock17!22 w Cierner conversion. The latter progressively failed. CCI lead nose.
    Since I shot the P22 2nd, it took a while .. maybe 200 rds, but it began jamming.
    Followed 22Plinkster and Hickok45 advice cleaned the breach and chamber slightly and I was back in business.
    So mid shoot breach oiling seems a charm, huh.
    I dont have the S&W Victory SW22 yet, but I want it .. the performance center one... dream.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Rep Power: 7
    Rep Level: PDF Militia
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    435 Post(s)
    Digital calipers are best for this.
    The factors that Dogs pointed out certainly would affect reliability in a semi auto firearm.
    I guess I always just used my .22s for plinking and casual recreational shooting and never worried too much about a jam and didn't really think much about it when it occasionally happened. Being the cheap scoundrel that I am I have always just bought the cheapest .22 ammo that I could find and if an occasional jam happened, so be it. I do realize everyone is different and for some if a gun jams 1 in 1000 times it is time to get rid of that piece-O-junk, but for me, hey it's only a .22 all my guns are like old friends and could never part with any of them, but that is just me. I do lot more collecting than I do shooting, hope that changes now that I am semi retired. So now maybe I will be a little more "scientific" about my shooting, but first I need to get out to the range more.
    Cheap digital calipers are available that will not set you back more than $20, I use them all the time for my machining projects and work fine.
    Yardsticks are fine for measuring your tomato plants but I think you will be much more happier with a 15 dollar caliper.