Threads
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    526 Post(s)

April 2nd - 52 degrees

I can't remember EVER having as nice a temperature in the first few days of trout season (we open April 1st).

Headed out after work for 90 minutes with my 2 lb test UL spinning rig and a 1/32 oz black 1" Mr. Twister teeny tail just casting from the bank. Caught these two and put two smaller ones back.

Hope this summer isn't as warm as last or the local trout will suffer badly. But a nice dinner tomorrow!

Every word of God is pure; He is a Shield(TM) unto them that put their trust in Him. Proverbs 30:5
    In training to be the forum's assistant deputy backup curmudgeon

Senior Member Rep Power: 6
    Rep Level: PDF Green Dragon
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    149 Post(s)
    That is a NICE pair of rainbows.

Curmudgeon Rep Power: 20
    Rep Level: PDF Gold Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2450 Post(s)
    Nice fish! I soured on rainbows in WA. That's what they stocked all the lakes around the area with. All one needed was a bag of miniature marshmallows to limit out. They'd poison out a nice bass/catfish lake just to fill it with farm-bred rainbows.

Up in the alpine lakes of Oval Peak were wild cutthroats. They were smaller but tougher to catch. I'd make my own ant flies that they'd go for. A mess of them in a pan over the campfire made for some good eating.
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Senior Member Rep Power: 11
    Rep Level: PDF Constitution Protector
    Threads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    507 Post(s)
    Nice catch, I miss fly fishing for trout when I was stationed in California, now I have to drive to the other end of the state for trout.

NUTS! Gen. McAuliffe Rep Power: 10
    Rep Level: PDF American
    Upstate NY in the headlands of the foothills
    Threads
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    526 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nice fish! I soured on rainbows in WA. That's what they stocked all the lakes around the area with. All one needed was a bag of miniature marshmallows to limit out. They'd poison out a nice bass/catfish lake just to fill it with farm-bred rainbows.

Up in the alpine lakes of Oval Peak were wild cutthroats. They were smaller but tougher to catch. I'd make my own ant flies that they'd go for. A mess of them in a pan over the campfire made for some good eating.
    The only "wild" trout we have are the brook trout and, in the Finger and Great lakes, Lake Trout. Though there are "stable" populations of brown and rainbow they were introduced. And "re-upped" with put and take stocking. I still have one "secret" wild brook trout stretch that requires a pretty good hike to reach but even that has become a party spot for Quad drivers. Catfish don't have a season here but don't bite until the apple trees are in blossom (Grandpa taught me that and I think he was right!) When bass season opens I forget the trout and chase smallmouth.

For the most part I release everything except catfish and yellow perch (yum) but traditionally keep a few trout for one meal annually.
    Every word of God is pure; He is a Shield(TM) unto them that put their trust in Him. Proverbs 30:5

Curmudgeon Rep Power: 20
    Rep Level: PDF Gold Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2450 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    Catfish don't have a season here but don't bite until the apple trees are in blossom (Grandpa taught me that and I think he was right!) When bass season opens I forget the trout and chase smallmouth.

For the most part I release everything except catfish and yellow perch (yum) but traditionally keep a few trout for one meal annually.
    I've never heard of anything like that about catfish. I wouldn't doubt it though. They do get a mite sluggish in cold waters.

Your comments are so "northern." My dad grew up in MD and was big on smallmouth bass and the yellow perch also. Living in NC, we didn't have small mouth or the perch in any numbers, but he did have a few places we would go to try to grab a few. He loved to scramble up perch roe and eggs over the campfire. We had a "secret" stream up in the South Mountain area full of mixed trout we'd hit on occasion. I think they were refugees from the national park that got restocked every year.

As he lay dying in hospice, I told him I'd always remember our weekend camping trips more than anything else we did. Just him and me, his International Harvester pickup, the gaudy blue & orange Eastern Airline engine-cover tarp we used for a truck-bed cover and lean-to, and the grocery box of cooking and camping gear that was always packed.

It was the only time I ever saw him cry.
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Asst. Administrator Rep Power: 100
    Rep Level: PDF Bronze Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1873 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Nice catch, I miss fly fishing for trout when I was stationed in California, now I have to drive to the other end of the state for trout.
    Whereabouts, in CA? Castle, McClellan, Beale, Travis, ...?

While nothing like what it was in the 1970s and earlier, a number of the far northern California river/stream systems still have decent steelhead trout, brook and brown trout, along with salmon.
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

NUTS! Gen. McAuliffe Rep Power: 10
    Upstate NY in the headlands of the foothills
    Threads
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    526 Post(s)

If heaven and/or the afterlife doesn't include fishing and dogs . . . I'm just not sure quaffing ale and munching roast beast will stay fresh and interesting for eternity. My Grandpa was my first fishing coach and I never got the chance to say - as an adult or even teenager - how much he meant to me. I hope someday I can. Grandma went a few years before. And I remember her bemoaning that they could no longer catch eels in the Susquehanna River (which ran behind the pasture out their back door - only a fool would put a house in the floodplain any nearer . . . and guess what?).

Smallmouth are like largemouth on crack. Swim much faster, they jump, and if you use proper tackle (like line that has a test strength less that half of what the fish weigh) they put up a fierce battle. Especially the river variety. Mushy and not especially flavorful, though. I always release them.

Yellow perch are also a hoot on ultralight tackle - though if you find a school not hard to catch. I filet them, split the filets, THE ADMIRAL then steams the bits and chills them (on ice or in the freezer). Then we make up a cocktail sauce (more often than not with our own fresh horseradish) and eat them like cocktail shrimp. Lord that's good eats, with a Margarita or three to wash them down watching the sunset.

And battered & fried perch - and a good lager or four. Yummm.

Asst. Administrator Rep Power: 100
    Rep Level: PDF Bronze Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1873 Post(s)
    Smallmouth are like largemouth on crack ... and if you use proper tackle (like line that has a test strength less that half of what the fish weigh) they put up a fierce battle.

Yellow perch are also a hoot on ultralight tackle ...
    Have caught yellowtail tuna on ultralight tackle. Now, that is some good-tasting fish, right there. And talk about the fight in those animals. Pound for pound, hard to beat.

Love the perch, bluegill.
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

Senior Member Rep Power: 11
    Rep Level: PDF Constitution Protector
    Threads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    507 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Whereabouts, in CA? Castle, McClellan, Beale, Travis, ...?

While nothing like what it was in the 1970s and earlier, a number of the far northern California river/stream systems still have decent steelhead trout, brook and brown trout, along with salmon.
    I was stationed at Travis for 9 years (1975-1984) until they caught me and sentenced me to Altus, OK for instructor duty. Being aircrew for every 3 days out on a trip we got one day off up to a maximum of 3 days. Those days were entirely yours, you did not have to report in unless you were overdue some training requirements. I spent many of those days off fishing, hunting and panning in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

Senior Member Rep Power: 14
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1744 Post(s)
    Good looking pair of trout there!!

Makes me hungry...

Senior Member Rep Power: 2
    Rep Level: PDF Range Master

Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    I can't remember EVER having as nice a temperature in the first few days of trout season (we open April 1st).

Headed out after work for 90 minutes with my 2 lb test UL spinning rig and a 1/32 oz black 1" Mr. Twister teeny tail just casting from the bank. Caught these two and put two smaller ones back.

Hope this summer isn't as warm as last or the local trout will suffer badly. But a nice dinner tomorrow!

I am headed up to Stroudsburg Pa. for my first attempt at Fly Fishing on the Bushkill this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk