Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)

NC: Trooper shoots armed suspect during traffic stop

96 MPH in a 55 MPH zone with a handgun. Doesn’t sound too smart.

PRINCETON, N.C. — A North Carolina State Highway Patrol trooper shot an armed suspect during a traffic stop in Johnston County on Thursday afternoon.The shooting happened at about 1 p.m. near the area of U.S. Highway 70 and Dr. Donnie H Jones Jr. Boulevard in Princeton.

According to First Sgt. Michael Baker with the highway patrol, the trooper stopped a Nissan passenger car for traveling 96 in a 55-mph zone. During the stop, an altercation ensued between the trooper and the driver of the Nissan, who was armed with a handgun. As a result, the trooper shot the driver...

Sky 5 was live over the scene where multiple law enforcement officers were investigating. As a result, all lanes of U.S. 70 were closed.

The Princeton Police Department and the Johnston County Sheriff's Office are assisting in the investigation.

The injured suspect was taken to WakeMed, where he was listed in serious condition.
    The driver was the only occupant within the Nissan and no other suspects are being sought.

https://www.wral.com/authorities-trooper-shot-armed-suspect-during-traffic-stop-in-johnston-county/18305139/
    NRA Benefactor Life Member.

Member Rep Power: 0
    Rep Level: PDF Range Member

Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    Heck, 95 mph on a Kentucky interstate like I64, trooper wouldn’t have needed to shoot him.

He would have gotten rear ended long before.....

Senior Member Rep Power: 12
    Rep Level: PDF Constitution Protector
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    979 Post(s)
    Not sure now but KSP didn't use to go to guns easily.

I was stopped doing 98 several years ago on I64.

I proceeded at the speed limit of 70 after being blue lighted to a stretch with no guard rail so I could pull a good distance off the highway . That way the trooper was not forced to walk anywhere near traffic.

In the course of that stop my registration was asked for. When I opened the glove box I had to remove the g22 to get the registration.

The KSP still carried .357 revolvers then but were going to get g22 s soon.

This trooper was not phased their was a gun in the glove box or my moving it.

He did ask if he could see it saying they would soon be issued them and he had not seen one yet.

After a few minutes of him looking over the pistol , gripping as if shooting it etc , he handed it back, thanked me for pulling over in a place that took his safety into consideration, and told me to have a nice day.
    I drove away not only not shot , but with no ticket.

I shiver to imagine the reaction of a younger trooper now .

Senior Member Rep Power: 4
    Rep Level: PDF Colonist
    Threads
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)
    I was hooning around on my Yamaha once and saw blue lights in the mirror. I pulled over, got off the bike, took my gloves and helmet off, and had my driver's license and insurance card out when the police car came barreling down the shoulder, all four wheels locked, and I took a couple of steps backwards just in case he didn't stop in time.

The door opened and a very excited deputy with an astonishing resemblance to Yosemite Sam rolls out of the car, yanks his gun, and is waving it at me while shouting incomprehensible gibberish. He was maybe five feet tall, and was carrying a revolver in either .44 Magnum or .45 Long Colt. I got to stare down the barrel the entire time he wasn't writing in his ticket book. Nowadays, I'd be a lot less tolerant of that.

He had me dead to rights for speeding, but proceeded to write tickets for "drag racing", "failure to stop", and a slew of others, more than enough to get my license revoked, so I went to court. Wherupon he made such a fool out of himself that the prosecutor turned and asked me if I'd agree to "speeding more than 20 over." I told him sure, I was guilty of that. The judge fined me $200. Yosemite Sam nearly stroked out right there in the courtroom.

That was in 1984. I still have the ticket somewhere; 150 in a 45. I guess his radar gun only went to 150. I was running 20PSI of boost and rolling along a bit faster than that...

Senior Member Rep Power: 4
    Rep Level: PDF Freedom Seeker
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    161 Post(s)
    It appeared to me the TV reporter was trying to slant the report by relating how the driver's friends stated he was a nice guy, never in trouble, well liked in school. Worked for WM even. Kinda funny how lots of criminals seem to have the same background. I hope the officer was wearing a body cam.
    We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately.

Senior Member Rep Power: 5
    Rep Level: PDF Green Dragon
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    145 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I proceeded at the speed limit of 70 after being blue lighted to a stretch with no guard rail so I could pull a good distance off the highway . That way the trooper was not forced to walk anywhere near traffic.... thanked me for pulling over in a place that took his safety into consideration, and told me to have a nice day.
    got pulled over by a cop in a town where cops are known to be the rejects from the larger surrounding towns about a year ago. Couldn't see squat b/c of all the high power LED's on the fool's vehicle, pulled into the gated community about 50yds away (couldn't see the shoulder), and got questioned and lectured about when to pull over when lit up. I responded ' when safe to do so' and he interrupted me saying 'no, you immediately pull over'. I continued - telling him I didn't want to pull over where he'd be standing in traffic. He didn't say anything, but when he went back to his vehicle I think he realized I had a better answer than him and let me go. Sometimes even a jerk can have a light bulb go off (I've had more than one encounter with the db).

Senior Member Rep Power: 8
    Rep Level: PDF American
    Threads
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Interesting that the "Trooper identified that the occupant was armed" according the state police video comments.

Was the driver brandishing?

Not really a lot of info being released.
    I too hope there is squad car or bodycam video.
    At those speeds, it is no longer a infraction but a crime called reckless driving.