Threads
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1348 Post(s)

Dungeons and Dragons

Anyone ever play D&D? I used to play a lot in HS and College. I have reconnected with some friends and they have been playing online through a couple of services. I am going to participate in my first campaign tonight.

It is pretty cool. No changes in the game. Using the online service you can see the map and basically Skype with the players. There is even background music

I wonder if there are enough people here that would ever be interested in playing a game or two.

One cool thing (for those that have played) is you upload your character sheets and the dice roll on the screen so all the points are calculated automatically.

Here is a screen shot (not me in it)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roll20_video_sm.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	21612

Asst. Administrator Rep Power: 100
    Rep Level: PDF Bronze Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1675 Post(s)
    About the closest I ever came was to play the old LaserDisc arcade video game Dragon's Lair a couple of times. The images beat Asteroids hands-down, but the glitchy performance soured me on the whole thing. Amazing, how impatient we all began to get in the early 1980s, eh? (Until the initial 1984 Apple Macintoshes redefined "patience" at a whole new level. )
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

Senior Member Rep Power: 6
    Rep Level: PDF Colonial Warrior
    Threads
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1348 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    About the closest I ever came was to play the old LaserDisc arcade video game Dragon's Lair a couple of times. The images beat Asteroids hands-down, but the glitchy performance soured me on the whole thing. Amazing, how impatient we all began to get in the early 1980s, eh? (Until the initial 1984 Apple Macintoshes redefined "patience" at a whole new level. )
    I had an Apple IIe with the extra 32K of ram to make it 64K!!! I just found a place where I could download the original version of Wizardry and run that with a DOS emulator.

Love playing those old games. Used to have to use graph paper to keep track of where you were.

NUTS! Gen. McAuliffe Rep Power: 9
    Rep Level: PDF American
    Upstate NY in the headlands of the foothills
    Threads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    452 Post(s)
    That was after my time.

But I do recall a great strategy game we played in college called "Ogre". One side (person or team) had a gigantic tank/war machine and the other (person or team) had the choices of assembling various smaller weapons to defend against the giant wear machine. It could go on for days in the student union. I always preferred to be the "little guys".

We also played Risk for hours and hours.
    Every word of God is pure; He is a Shield(TM) unto them that put their trust in Him. Proverbs 30:5
    In training to be the forum's assistant deputy backup curmudgeon

Senior Member Rep Power: 5
    Rep Level: PDF Freedom Seeker
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)
    I remember D&D as a kid. I didn't understand it and called it 'geek poker'....

I put all games aside after I got my drivers license...there were pretty girls who needed a ride or the fish were biting somewhere.

Now, I'm stumbling into middleaged-dom and don't judge nearly as harshly as I used to.....things like D&D. Have a good time! Me, I'll be having a bourbon and checking out the fishing reports.

Rep Level: PDF Militia
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    343 Post(s)
    You guys are all ahead of me. My sister and I used to play the original Pong, one of the first home-based video games, before Al Gore invented that he invented the internet.

Rep Level: PDF Colonial Warrior
    Threads
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1348 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember D&D as a kid. I didn't understand it and called it 'geek poker'....

I put all games aside after I got my drivers license...there were pretty girls who needed a ride or the fish were biting somewhere.

Now, I'm stumbling into middleaged-dom and don't judge nearly as harshly as I used to.....things like D&D. Have a good time! Me, I'll be having a bourbon and checking out the fishing reports.
    The D&D player was a stereotypical geek, but that was not really true. The group I played with were all varsity athletes in 2 or more sports. We were on the road a lot going to tournaments and spent lots of times in hotels. D&D was a great way to kill time. Campaigns only take about 1.5 to 2 hours to play.

Hindsight being 20/20...I can appreciate the game as being a great team builder. You had to work together and be creative.

Rep Level: PDF Militia
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3E3956C7-3586-45ED-B1BE-EE09EF995C03.jpeg 
Views:	8