Threads
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2197 Post(s)

The Final Day

I just downloaded, "The Final Day" by William Forstchen. He wrote, "One Second After" and 2 others about post-EMP America.

"The Final Day" is one of my all time favorite fiction books. I liked the other 2 he wrote, but FD was the best IMO.

This newest book is the last one in the Trilogy and according to the reviews is the best of them all.

It's an Audible book and I plan to listen to it when we go away next week. It's a 5 hour drive up and back and I love listening to books when I travel, it makes the trip go by in a blink.

Have any of you read it? If so, did you like it as much as The Final Day?

Senior Member Rep Power: 5
    Rep Level: PDF Green Dragon
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    I liked them all. Each successive one is a continuation so I didn't understand the criticism (in several online forums) that the first was the best
    and the others failed to measure up. The story line changed as people became more organised and some characters were eliminated,
    much as it would in real life. I thought it was a bit "Hollywood" but the idea of writing them was to get people's attention and motivate them to
    prepare themselves and put pressure on the gooberment to do something to help prevent the catastrophe. Unfortunately, I think the last goal failed.
    It's hard to get the hog's attention away from the feeding trough, nothing is more important to them.
    GO NAVY!
    All Heros don't have a cape. Some wear Kevlar.

Moderator of the Universe Rep Power: 20
    Rep Level: PDF Silver Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2197 Post(s)

I didn't think the second book was as good as the first book, but IMO, he set a high standard with that one.

He also wrote a Novelette called, "Day of Fury". That was good too, and timely as it deals with a school siege and mass shooting.

Senior Member Rep Power: 7
    Rep Level: PDF Green Dragon
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    192 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanlouise View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just downloaded, "The Final Day" by William Forstchen. He wrote, "One Second After" and 2 others about post-EMP America.

"The Final Day" is one of my all time favorite fiction books. I liked the other 2 he wrote, but FD was the best IMO.

This newest book is the last one in the Trilogy and according to the reviews is the best of them all.

It's an Audible book and I plan to listen to it when we go away next week. It's a 5 hour drive up and back and I love listening to books when I travel, it makes the trip go by in a blink.

Have any of you read it? If so, did you like it as much as The Final Day?
    Your author sounds familiar JL and "One Second After" sounds like a book I've read before. In the 80s I was all about reading post EMT events. 30+ years later I'd shut out the world for a book like that no sweat. When I was going to Brooks AFB my instructors took a real shine to me and gave me a copy of their survival manual from which they taught from. I also read the 18 volume series of The Survivalist by Jerry Ahern.

Yes I would stillenjoy any book of this type.

JL your destination must be a place you've gone to repeatedly and alas the scenery has become repetitive. This old goat thinksan Audible book sounds perfect for a long journey in a land vehicle