Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Felon and GCA 1968: Actress cries as she pleads guilty in college admissions scandal

Senior Member Rep Power: 6
    Rep Level: PDF Green Dragon
    Threads
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1278 Post(s)

Felon and GCA 1968: Actress cries as she pleads guilty in college admissions scandal

Actress Felicity Huffman cries as she pleads guilty in college admissions scandal

1: This is the correct forum, (not current events) because it is about gun rights
    2: This is not about a Hollywood star that might or not own firearms or her thoughts about them, it is about being a felon and no longer having the right to bear arms.

When she appeared in court in Boston, prosecutors recommended a sentence of four months prison time for the "Desperate Housewives" TV star for her role in the college admissions scandal. They also suggested a $20,000 fine and 12 months of supervised release for the charge, which is a felony.
    Unless one has not been following the news, a bunch of rich folks basically paid a guy to get their kids into "prestigious" colleges. They are now being held accountable, which they should be. They will also have been convicted of a felony or plead guilty to a felony which means that they can no longer purchase or own firearms.

This a great example of why the Gun Control Act of 1968 needs to be repealed.

Totally stupid that these folks cannot bear arms after they serve their sentences.
    Last edited by Siam; May 14th, 2019 at 06:41 AM.

Asst. Administrator Rep Power: 100
    Rep Level: PDF American
    Threads
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    952 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1: This is the correct forum, (not current events) because it is about gun rights
    2: This is not about a Hollywood star that might or not own firearms or her thoughts about them, it is about being a felon and no longer having the right to bear arms.

Totally stupid that these folks cannot bear arms after they serve their sentences.
    OK, as long as that is the direction this discussion takes.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Threads
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1278 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DogWalksWithMe View Post
    OK, as long as that is the direction this discussion takes.
    I am sure that no one will deviate from the topic LOL

I updated the thread title

Senior Member Rep Power: 5
    Rep Level: PDF Militia
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    People bring up this "felons and gun rights" thing a lot. Here's my take, both pro and con:

On one hand:

• It's not like the felon is a victim here. They screwed up big time. I don't have a lot of sympathy for them.
    • Most states have "disenfranchisement" laws that basically say if you commit a felony, you give up some of your rights, for life. It is as if you are no longer a full citizen. It is part of the punishment. Incarceration is not supposed to be the only downside of committing a felony.
    • I worry more about them getting the right to vote back. The left's support of voting rights restoration shows me they think ex-felons are more likely to vote left.
    • We are in a struggle to salvage the RTKABA for the rest of us. I see campaigning for the felon's rights to own guns works against that.
    • Remember, if you start giving non-violent felons gun rights, you are also going to be opening the door for violent felons to get guns. And yes, I know the worn out refrain, "criminals don't follow the laws anyway, yadda yadda." But I want the justice system to have the tools be able to put a violent felony back in prison if he gets caught with a gun. I also know the refrain, "If a criminal is dangerous, he should be on the street at all, yadda, yadda." But that theory is not a practical reality today and never will be."
    • Felons who have served their sentence can apply to the governor of the state where the felony was committed to have their rights restored.

On the other hand:
    • I think the whole concept of "felonies" n the US is out of control. "Felony" is a concept from English common law and it was originally a capital crime, or close to it. You lost all your property and all your rights and then you were either executed, imprisoned for life or exiled. Now we have some pretty benign crimes being called felonies and no consistency between states on what is a felony. How can you be perfectly legal carrying a gun without a permit in MO, cross into IL and be felon even if you have a permit from MO? I can see it being a crime, but a felony? Ireland did away with the whole felony/misdemeanor distinction several years ago and it makes sense. I would get that whole concept out of our legal system. There ought to be a guideline for levels of crimes, say from one to five, each with its own rules.
    • I don't think the feds should hinge federal gun rights on state felony laws. If the felony is a state felony, gun ownership implications should be up to the states. So if you commit a felony in IL, for instance, it would be up to IL if you could later have guns in IL. It would also be up to MO to say, "Even though Joe Blow has a felony in IL, it was not a violent felony, and it is OK for him to have guns in MO."

Senior Member Rep Power: 4
    Rep Level: PDF Freedom Seeker

Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)
    There has to be some criteria in place.

I think jmf has a good start on it .... there has to be some delineation between a "felony" that warrants significant loss of rights and a "felony" that warrants significant jail time.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18
    Retired AF E9

Senior Member Rep Power: 12
    Rep Level: PDF Constitution Protector
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    978 Post(s)
    Double post
    Last edited by Ghost1958; May 14th, 2019 at 09:37 AM.

Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    978 Post(s)
    Turned out of prison to walk on society , all rights restored.
    Anything else is not within gov constitutional authority.

If we are to regain our RTKABA , then we must fight to regain everyones RTKABA. Not just those we want to have it.

Unrepentant chocoholic Rep Power: 100
    Threads
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    792 Post(s)
    I agree with most of what @jmf522 wrote. Where I disagree is his statement that gun ownership rights vs. felonies should be up to the states. That still leaves open losing your rights for life if you happen to carry a gun (or in extreme states, even an empty cartridge) into one of the no gun states.

I think that some states allow for petitioning to get your gun rights back, but others do not. It is a real can of worms with the laws the way they are now - that is for sure!

And that brings us back to the fact that criminals do not pay attention to the laws, so why not reinstate all rights after a person has served their full term? My mind has no definitive answer for that.
    Click here to find out how you can help a fellow PDF member
    https://www.personaldefenseforum.net...my-dear-friend

Senior Member Rep Power: 9
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    135 Post(s)
    The exercise of one's Second Amendment rights is, in and of itself, oftentimes a felony. If, for example one gets snagged in New Jersey and convicted of a felony for an action involving firearms for inadvertently crossing the state line from Pennsylvania where such action is legal, there goes the RTKBA for life. Its hard to argue against rights restoration in the face of such discrepancies between individual state laws.

Threads
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    683 Post(s)
    What about repeat offenders ?
    Every time this topic is brought up I feel it's pertaining to a one time offense.

Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    See my answers in bold:

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    I agree with most of what @jmf522 wrote. Where I disagree is his statement that gun ownership rights vs. felonies should be up to the states. That still leaves open losing your rights for life if you happen to carry a gun (or in extreme states, even an empty cartridge) into one of the no gun states. My only point there was that if is that if it has to be up to some level of government, I would rather it be the states than the feds.

I think that some states allow for petitioning to get your gun rights back, but others do not. It is a real can of worms with the laws the way they are now - that is for sure!

And that brings us back to the fact that criminals do not pay attention to the laws, so why not reinstate all rights after a person has served their full term? My mind has no definitive answer for that. I think the answer to that is you are right, criminals won't follow the laws. But if a violent felon gets caught with a gun, my thinking is he is planning to do something bad with it. That's what violent felons do. A lot criminal violence is committed by people who have a record of criminal violence. Having it be a felony to just get caught with a gun give the legal system a means to put them back inside. In a perfect world they, would have never been outside in the first place, but that is not the reality and never will be.

Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    978 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arejay View Post
    What about repeat offenders ?
    Every time this topic is brought up I feel it's pertaining to a one time offense.
    Still simple . If they are in the street legally they have the RTKABA. Even in Heller, and I'm paraphrasing a bit , it was stated in that opinion that any law repugnant to the 2A is null and void.

By that opinion the laws prohibiting freed prisoners RTKABA is already null and void.

Repeat offenders ? Don't turn them lose to reoffend.

The only legal and constitutional answer is full restoration of the RTKABA.

Threads
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1278 Post(s)

I am not going to change anyones mind. First: what is the purpose of removing someones 2A rights (which BTW I have a fundmental problem with since it is a God given right and not one that can be denied by man unless that person is in jail) because they have committed a felony and have served their time? Is it a deterrence? Is it a further punishment? Is it so the person cannot legally by a firearm to hurt someone else?

It makes zero sense. A person stabs someone and they get thrown in prison and released and they cannot buy firearms? But buying a knife is OK?

Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Turned out of prison to walk on society , all rights restored.
    Anything else is not within gov constitutional authority.

If we are to regain our RTKABA , then we must fight to regain everyones RTKABA. Not just those we want to have it.
    Well if you want violent felons to have guns, good for you. I for one, do not. They gave up the RTKABA when they intentionally raped, killed or injured someone committing a crime. I have zero sympathy for them, unlike the bleeding hearts who think they can be rehabilitated or deserve a second chance. Heck, why don't we just hand them a Glock as they are being let out?

Stats show they are highly likely to offend again and it is likely the next offense will be worse. I would like to see them locked up forever, but that is not going to happen in any foreseeable scenario.

And if we are going to campaign for the RTKABA, having gun rights for violent criminals on our platform hurts us. I get tired of self-proclaimed "Constitutional scholars" spouting theory that takes us in the opposite direction we should be going.

Threads
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    683 Post(s)
    Hmm. Has it ever been recognized that repeat armed robbery and rapist etc are allowed to keep and bare arms ?