Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pepper Spray

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    Allowable sprays can vary by state, as to concentration allowable for civilian use. I had a spray that was used by Park Rangers and recommended for use against brown bears out west and Kodiak area. If it will slow them down it will certainly slow down the average human. It did say right on the label "Not Legal" in some states/see local ordinances".

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1144 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fastreb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I began my LEO career in 1996 ... What they found out was this. Fox 5.3 2% solution was by far the best at stopping an attack.

From personal experience, nothing we've been issued so far has worked on most people most of the time. It's been kind of a hit-or-miss thing, depending on how much adrenaline, illegal narcotic or how deep the delusional state the person you're facing has flowing through their body or mind at the moment is.
    That is disappointing, isn't it?. That matches what I've heard from a variety of other sources as well. Depends on the subject/suspect in question, and conditions (ie, whether it even hits the sinuses/eyes in the measure one imagines it should).

I'm all for spray. As a secondary tool for use in limited circumstances where it's clearly not (yet) a deadly-force situation.
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    That is disappointing, isn't it?. That matches what I've heard from a variety of other sources as well. Depends on the subject/suspect in question, and conditions (ie, whether it even hits the sinuses/eyes in the measure one imagines it should).

I'm all for spray. As a secondary tool for use in limited circumstances where it's clearly not (yet) a deadly-force situation.
    Administrators and officers who've forgotten what it was like on the street, then reach the upper echelon of command, are really the problem. All they can think about is that someone might sue the city. As a result, they will settle for officers having to use something less effective. Of course, if it was their behind that had to fight that combative subject themselves, they'd quickly opt for the best they could find on the market. I guess having to settle a lawsuit for several millions of dollars every once in a while when an officer has to shoot a subject the spray is ineffective on is better in their eyes than settling ten for a thousand dollars each because someone's face blistered for a little while but they went to jail and lived. Gotta love bureaucratic math.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    I have used gels, stream-sprays, conical-sprays , foggers in many different SHU ratings and formulations ( OC, CS, CN). I have been purposefully contaminated during training and accidentally cross contaminated dozens of times. I prefer the OC (500,000 to 1mil SHU) in a high pressure can with concave bottom, 2 or 2.5 ounce with a ballistic stream nozzle and a flip top safety cap.

People say all sorts of thing about the effectiveness of OC defensive spray but I can tell you that I have used it a minimum of 76 times on violent offenders. Out of that number, I would say that 90% were effected to the degree that it forced compliance. 9% had little effect and 1% suffered a concerning level of respiratory distress.
    Last edited by Telstar6; September 30th, 2017 at 05:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would choose Pepper Gel over the Pepper Spray. It is more or less the same price and there is lower risk of being hit by the "pepper fog" in case of wind. Another option is to buy Pepper Gun, which is basically an improved version of Pepper Spray with longer range and better aiming features.
    A gun is no more dangerous than a cricket bat in the hands of a madman.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    703 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    From my personal experience, and having sprayed, maybe 100 or more people, the brand I prefer is the made by Defense Technology, and is a subsidiary of Safariland.

The number one thing you want is reliability. The things that help with that, and you want to look for is a water based agent with an antifreeze.
    Oil suspended pepper tends to clog up the applicator, and you do not want that. I prefer a stream, that can easily hit out to 10 yards.

I've used and carried this brand for years, and never had a malfunction or, used it against anyone that didn't fold pretty quick.
    Sure, it is possible to fight thru it, but ones fighting ability is greatly diminished.
    That's why you have to train to use it just like a firearm....get off the X as you spray, and continue movement.

You will hear lots of different opinions, and many from people who really have no experience in using it.

I'm very confident in this brand, my agency has issued it for many years, and I buy it at the local GALL's police supply.
    I have the Sabre brand but after reading your post,, I want to try Defense Tech.. Thanks for the advice...
    Great thread Hack!
    Nonsensical Gibberish Talkin Clown,,, Das Me,,,, hehehehe.....

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1608 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer1270 View Post
    I have the Sabre brand but after reading your post,, I want to try Defense Tech.. Thanks for the advice...
    Great thread Hack!
    If you really want to try if, I volunteer tp spray you with it. Being such a friend and all...
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    703 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If you really want to try if, I volunteer tp spray you with it. Being such a friend and all...
    You owe me a 7up

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1608 Post(s)
    You owe me a 7up
    As long as it's straight, no mixers.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    703 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    As long as it's straight, no mixers.
    I was hoping that you would throw in a wee bit of that special bourbon that you keep behind the other bottles on the top shelf in the cabinet...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1608 Post(s)
    I was hoping that you would throw in a wee bit of that special bourbon that you keep behind the other bottles on the top shelf in the cabinet...
    This one?

thT9QXOZ6P.jpg

You peeked!