Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the best martial art for self defense?

Senior Member Rep Power: 6
    Rep Level: PDF Militia
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    395 Post(s)
    A good book to read on this, although it is not a particularly fun read, is Rory Miller's "Meditations on Violence. Miller is a career corrections officer, who for years averaged a fight a day with hardened criminals in maximum security. He is also a black belt in Aiki-jujitsu, although he says all martial arts and H2H systems are paradoxically both useful and flawed at the same time for real self-defense. The main reason they are flawed is safety. You can't have all the students going home after every class beaten and bruised.

Another reason is that most martial arts and training systems are not really designed for street self defense. Most are designed as sports. Some, like Krav Maga and Fairbairn are designed for combat, but I have see these military arts watered down on their way to storefront schools.

The bottom line is that it is all good, but none of it is perfect. The best martial art for you is the one you will get good at AND fill in gaps of what it is not teaching you for SD. I studied Karate' and other Asian arts for many years, but if I had to do it all over again, I would study Judo and Boxing, because they are both dynamic, force-on-force, full contact, but still reasonably safe.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Senior Member Rep Power: 10
    Rep Level: PDF American
    Threads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)
    There is plenty of good, traditional karate out there that is not sport karate. Karate was never meant to be a sport and the tournament crap is a lot of nonsense.

Senior Member Rep Power: 4
    Rep Level: PDF Range Master
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hackberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is plenty of good, traditional karate out there that is not sport karate. Karate was never meant to be a sport and the tournament crap is a lot of nonsense.
    Same with TaeKwonDo, the Olympic and tournament stuff is nonsense too. It’s nearly impossible for me to watch the Olympic matches.

Rep Level: PDF Constitution Protector
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    361 Post(s)
    I remember seeing an Asian man and a Marine exchange words back in the 1960s. While the Asian man went into his martial arts stance, the Marine hit him upside the head with a bottle of Akadama wine. The fight was over.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

Rep Level: PDF American
    Threads
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    680 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember seeing an Asian man and a Marine exchange words back in the 1960s. While the Asian man went into his martial arts stance, the Marine hit him upside the head with a bottle of Akadama wine. The fight was over.
    A true martial artist would never waste a bottle of wine.
    A true martial artist would have trapped the wine, thereby saving it for another time; then proceed to kick some butt.
    "A covenant not to defend myself from force, by force, is always void"...Thomas Hobbes

Senior Member Rep Power: 5
    Rep Level: PDF Freedom Seeker

Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    145 Post(s)
    Kahr?
    Does my Kahr count? It's made by a Korean owned company and I learned Tae Kwon Do when I was stationed in Korea, so I'm gonna go with Kahr.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18
    Retired AF