Threads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)

Old dog new trick

Went to the range with a brand new Ruger Mark IV 22/45 this morning. Avoided this gun in the past due to the complex reassembling process. The Mark IV is as easy as a push button. Only thing I don't care for is the magazine safety.

Now for the new trick. Added a Trijicon RMR Dual Illumination reflex sight. One with a green triangle. This is new to me but I like it. The old eyes aren't what they used to be and the focal plane of the RMR is one dimension, very easy to use. I still need some practice getting used to it. A couple of targets from 7 yards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0903.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	22670

Asst. Administrator Rep Power: 100
    Rep Level: PDF Bronze Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1634 Post(s)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Added a Trijicon RMR Dual Illumination reflex sight. One with a green triangle. This is new to me but I like it. The old eyes aren't what they used to be ...
    Spendy, at $500+, but it looks like a nice sight picture.

How about the size of the frame around the reticle area? Does it get in the way for target acquisition, or at distance does it pretty much fade out of view and not seem to block any of the visual?

Have mulled over doing some of the larger (ie, Big Dot, or these reflex) sight options. Eyes are getting older, and from what few non-traditional sights I've seen they seem to help in speeding up getting sights on target.
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

Unrepentant chocoholic Rep Power: 100
    Rep Level: PDF Constitution Protector
    Threads
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    835 Post(s)
    When I got my Mark IV Lite 22/45 it was a total mess. After two trips back to Ruger with several parts replaced, it still stovepiped, FTE and every other way a gun can malfunction. And beside that, the trigger pretty much sucked.

After a lot of time on the Ruger web site and TONS of time spent working on the 6 magazines per instructions from the experts on the Ruger forum who really know what they are doing, it would work OK for a while before acting up again, if Gramps shot it. When I shot it, 3 rounds and a jam of one kind or another! All six magazines.

I was about to get rid of it and then the Volquartsen Accurizing kit went on sale at a web site where I also had a store credit, so what the heck, I ordered it. In the process of installing that you have to remove that disgusting magazine safety - and leave it out!

WOW AND GOLLY GEE! I now have a gun with a little less than a 3# trigger pull which is super smooth, and also which hardly ever has a malfunction.

I was thoroughly spoiled after 20 years of shooting Glocks: Buy it, clean it, shoot it. Forever.

I still enjoy shooting my S&W M&P .22 compact the most of my three .22's, even though it doesn't have that heavenly trigger that the Mark IV has now. And I'm having a good time shooting my Browning 1911-22 black label also and it has the toughest trigger of all 3, which is pretty unusual for any 1911 - even one that is scaled to 85% of full size.

I won't be buying any more Ruger guns, but at least this Mark IV I have is now pretty much "fun on the range!"
    Click here to find out how you can help a fellow PDF member
    https://www.personaldefenseforum.net...my-dear-friend

Senior Member Rep Power: 7
    Rep Level: PDF Militia
    Threads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Spendy, at $500+, but it looks like a nice sight picture.

How about the size of the frame around the reticle area? Does it get in the way for target acquisition, or at distance does it pretty much fade out of view and not seem to block any of the visual?

Have mulled over doing some of the larger (ie, Big Dot, or these reflex) sight options. Eyes are getting older, and from what few non-traditional sights I've seen they seem to help in speeding up getting sights on target.
    The frame fades out and I didn't notice it after the first few rounds. The field of view is good for my purposes. The larger target on the left is around 10 inches or so and all was visible at 7 yards. Didn't shoot closer than that. The green triangle in the recticle completely covered the orange bullseye but I was easily able to make hits or put the tip of the triangle just under the bullseye.

The sight is expensive agreed. But my eyes have gotten so bad lately bringing front and rear in alignment, well it just isn't possible anymore with many sights.

I choose the RMR for no batteries, small size, and lightweight. First got it out of the box I couldn't find the triangle thought it was broken. Eventually figured out how it worked. Today was overcast, light drizzle, darker than normal, and my position was under the range roof. The triangle was bright, easily seen. I'll probably never use the tritium feature but you never know.

Money well spent for me.

Senior Member Rep Power: 7
    Rep Level: PDF Militia
    Threads
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    When I got my Mark IV Lite 22/45 it was a total mess. After two trips back to Ruger with several parts replaced, it still stovepiped, FTE and every other way a gun can malfunction. And beside that, the trigger pretty much sucked.

After a lot of time on the Ruger web site and TONS of time spent working on the 6 magazines per instructions from the experts on the Ruger forum who really know what they are doing, it would work OK for a while before acting up again, if Gramps shot it. When I shot it, 3 rounds and a jam of one kind or another! All six magazines.

I was about to get rid of it and then the Volquartsen Accurizing kit went on sale at a web site where I also had a store credit, so what the heck, I ordered it. In the process of installing that you have to remove that disgusting magazine safety - and leave it out!

WOW AND GOLLY GEE! I now have a gun with a little less than a 3# trigger pull which is super smooth, and also which hardly ever has a malfunction.

I was thoroughly spoiled after 20 years of shooting Glocks: Buy it, clean it, shoot it. Forever.

I still enjoy shooting my S&W M&P .22 compact the most of my three .22's, even though it doesn't have that heavenly trigger that the Mark IV has now. And I'm having a good time shooting my Browning 1911-22 black label also and it has the toughest trigger of all 3, which is pretty unusual for any 1911 - even one that is scaled to 85% of full size.

I won't be buying any more Ruger guns, but at least this Mark IV I have is now pretty much "fun on the range!"
    Wow, that stinks Granny. Mine was flawless out of the box. Loaded each magazine with 10 rounds. Ran 200 or so rounds thru it without any issues. I do agree the trigger isn't great. I got used to it but the factory trigger should be much lighter on a pistol of this type. I don't care for the magazine disconnect safety either.

All things considered, I really like this gun. Fun to shoot. Easy to clean.

Senior Member Rep Power: 19
    Rep Level: PDF Bronze Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    980 Post(s)
    I’m a fan of those sights,,, lately when it gets dark, I have a bit of trouble seeing the front sight unless it’s a night sight that glows well..