Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reason to never allow a traffic-stop search.

Curmudgeon Rep Power: 20
    Rep Level: PDF Gold Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2313 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Guess what organizations lobby for mandatory sentencing guidelines?

Did you ever notice how many crimes that used to be misdemeanors are now felonies? The prisons sell inmate labor for profit; they're always hurting for moderately-educated, non-violent, middle-class inmates in the 25-45 age group.

Who uses inmate labor? Whole Foods, Wal-Mart, MacDonalds, Victoria's Secret, AT&T, Dell, Mary Kay, Starbucks, UPS, Motorola, Johnson&Johnson, Costco, Microsoft, PepsiCo... some of them don't do it now, but they didn't change until after it became a media liability.

Prisoners! Even cheaper than illegals! And legal too! Such a deal!
    I've never seen a barista wearing prison orange before.
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Threads
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2313 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Isn't it normal and customary to vacate every single similar arrest such a person ever had a hand in? Since there's a good bet all similar cases are tainted in the same way.

Unless there's a severe underlying crime associated with someone who got "nabbed" by this guy, where the only real reason he/she is stuck behind bars or stuck with the blemish on the record is the likely planting of evidence, I'd think it's worth vacating every such case and record. And if the DA wants to go after those people again, it can track down appropriate evidence this time around. One case at a time.
    In this officer's case, they have already begun dropping charges and releasing people from prison. Well over 100 already.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Senior Member Rep Power: 6
    Rep Level: PDF Green Dragon
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    132 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    Guess what organizations lobby for mandatory sentencing guidelines?

Did you ever notice how many crimes that used to be misdemeanors are now felonies? The prisons sell inmate labor for profit; they're always hurting for moderately-educated, non-violent, middle-class inmates in the 25-45 age group.

Who uses inmate labor? Whole Foods, Wal-Mart, MacDonalds, Victoria's Secret, AT&T, Dell, Mary Kay, Starbucks, UPS, Motorola, Johnson&Johnson, Costco, Microsoft, PepsiCo... some of them don't do it now, but they didn't change until after it became a media liability.

Prisoners! Even cheaper than illegals! And legal too! Such a deal!
    Yep...

Whatever benefits corporate bottom lines, no matter the expense to the American public.

When I was a grade school kid back in the 50s I recall our teachers telling us that one of the BIG reasons America was so much better than commie Russia and Red China was because those countries imprisoned so much of their populations.

Now, it's the USA that leads the world in prison headcount.

Senior Member Rep Power: 10
    Rep Level: PDF American
    Threads
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    713 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    Yep...

Whatever benefits corporate bottom lines, no matter the expense to the American public.

When I was a grade school kid back in the 50s I recall our teachers telling us that one of the BIG reasons America was so much better than commie Russia and Red China was because those countries imprisoned so much of their populations.

Now, it's the USA that leads the world in prison headcount.
    There's something I don't understand about this USA's prison population discussion. Would the point be that the people in USA prisons are innocent ?
    I always thought(erroneously ?)that the overcrowded prison populations of the communists powerhouses were to do with dissidents and others not living up to party expectations. Like not meeting quotas, or saying the wrong thing, or even from the many purges that swept these countries.
    Sooo is our prison population over populated by people that have committed no crimes other than the color of their skin or hold views unacceptable to government. I've known a lot of people and have read of people going to jail. I know of no one that hasn't earned it.
    I really do want to understand what the underlying point being made is as to the USA prison population.

Rep Level: PDF Colonial Warrior
    Threads
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1352 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arejay View Post
    There's something I don't understand about this USA's prison population discussion. Would the point be that the people in USA prisons are innocent ?
    I always thought(erroneously ?)that the overcrowded prison populations of the communists powerhouses were to do with dissidents and others not living up to party expectations. Like not meeting quotas, or saying the wrong thing, or even from the many purges that swept these countries.
    Sooo is our prison population over populated by people that have committed no crimes other than the color of their skin or hold views unacceptable to government. I've known a lot of people and have read of people going to jail. I know of no one that hasn't earned it.
    I really do want to understand what the underlying point being made is as to the USA prison population.
    My take on this is that the US is putting people in jail when there are better solutions. Drugs should be legalized and that would take care of most of the prison population. Also, though not close to what the Soviet Union did (and other Communists Bloc nations did), there is a lot of railroading in the US. HAs always been like that.

Read "The Innocent Man" by Joh Grisham if you want a good example of how LE can railroad people for the sake of closing a case.

Threads
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2313 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Siam View Post
    Drugs should be legalized and that would take care of most of the prison population.
    Right! Add robbery and murder to that and we could just about clean them out...

Threads
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    713 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siam View Post
    My take on this is that the US is putting people in jail when there are better solutions. Drugs should be legalized and that would take care of most of the prison population. Also, though not close to what the Soviet Union did (and other Communists Bloc nations did), there is a lot of railroading in the US. HAs always been like that.

Read "The Innocent Man" by Joh Grisham if you want a good example of how LE can railroad people for the sake of closing a case.
    Thanks. I just an article today that the L.A county sheriff department has a half dozen gangs or so within the department complete with identifying gang tattoos

Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    215 Post(s)
    Sorry officer I respectfully do not allow searches of my vehicle or personal property .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rep Level: PDF Green Dragon
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    132 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arejay View Post
    My take is lots of guys in prison are there for non-violent crimes, but serving long sentences. In other words, selling/possessing drugs.

This whole war on drugs is a lost cause. 50 years and $billions spent, no reduction in the demand or supply. Seems a different approach is called for.

I won't pretend to have the answers, but I'll darn sure be open to what those who work in the field propose as alternatives.

In the meantime, this "prisons for profit" thing is a disgrace.

Senior Member Rep Power: 9
    Threads
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    589 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    Sorry officer I respectfully do not allow searches of my vehicle or personal property .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Exactly!..Speeding (unless reckless) are infractions, NOT crimes; and no probable cause exists for a search.
    A problem that has always existed is it is not difficult for a bad LEO to fabricate probable cause.

Many attorneys will advise NOT to roll your windows down when stopped, just enough though to hand LE required documentation.

Sadly we now live in a suspicious society; stories like these do not help.

Perhaps it's time for reverse sting ops with LE, just to let them know the person you stop next time for a infraction may have been vetted as clean.

Also sad is with many citizens , a few bad LEO's destroy public trust with ALL LEO's.

This is old but still applies..

LINK