Love Love:  0
Laugh Out Loud Laugh Out Loud:  0

Thread: Wisconsin Honoring Florida Update!!

Member Rep Power: 0
    Rep Level: PDF Range Master
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

Wisconsin Honoring Florida Update!!

If you are unaware of how Wisconsin Stated they would honor a Florida permit I won’t go into the particulars but they have posted an update. Now Wisconsin is stating the following on how they will honor a FL License:

Florida license ISSUED OR RENEWED TO NON-FLORIDA RESIDENTS ON OR AFTER 08/01/2013.

You can see it at https://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib...ry/reciprocity Handgunlaw.us is not aware of WHY this change was made and why it is only FL Licenses issued to Non-Residents that will be honored.

Curmudgeon Rep Power: 20
    Rep Level: PDF Gold Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2453 Post(s)
    Doesn't pass the common sense test. The cheese must be clotting up the brainial arteries.
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Junior Member Rep Power: 0
    Rep Level: PDF Range Junkie
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I read the information on the link and it seems it has to do with the background checks. They explain it this way:

Under s. 165.25(16), Wis. Stats., DOJ is required to establish a list of states that issue a license to carry a concealed weapon, if that license requires, or designates that the holder chose to submit to, a background search that is comparable to the type of background check that DOJ is required to conduct for Wisconsin licensees. The Wisconsin background check includes two components: (1) a criminal history record search; and (2) a search of the national instant criminal background check system (NICS) operated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Perhaps a Florida non resident permit includes both those background checks while a resident permit does not?

Curmudgeon Rep Power: 20
    Rep Level: PDF Gold Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2453 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrclen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I read the information on the link and it seems it has to do with the background checks. They explain it this way:

Under s. 165.25(16), Wis. Stats., DOJ is required to establish a list of states that issue a license to carry a concealed weapon, if that license requires, or designates that the holder chose to submit to, a background search that is comparable to the type of background check that DOJ is required to conduct for Wisconsin licensees. The Wisconsin background check includes two components: (1) a criminal history record search; and (2) a search of the national instant criminal background check system (NICS) operated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Perhaps a Florida non resident permit includes both those background checks while a resident permit does not?
    The requirements for a FL CWFL are one and the same. FL has no separate resident/non-resident licenses.
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Member Rep Power: 0
    Rep Level: PDF Range Master
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

OldVet, Not sure but believe Florida runs permit applications from residents of FL through a database that FL has and those that apply that don't live in FL are run through the NICS system. Virginia does use their own database for back ground checks on their residents applications but NICS for Non-Residents. WI only honors the VA non-resident for that reason.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider
    Co-Owner www.handgunlaw.us

Asst. Administrator Rep Power: 100
    Rep Level: PDF Constitution Protector
    Threads
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1162 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slider View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OldVet, Not sure but believe Florida runs permit applications from residents of FL through a database that FL has and those that apply that don't live in FL are run through the NICS system. Virginia does use their own database for back ground checks on their residents applications but NICS for Non-Residents. WI only honors the VA non-resident for that reason.
    If I'm reading this right, and reading between the lines...

If Dundu Nuffin had a problem in some state which reports into NICS but now lives in VA, and applies for VA permit, it might come up clean?

But if Dindu did not move to VA, and applied for a VA non-resident permit, he would be refused?

So WI trusts the NR permit but not the resident permit?

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.