Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

Changing carry gun

What? Accuracy directly relates to practice? All strings are about one shot per second or a little faster. The red square are shots from my pocket carry Ruger LCR (38spec) at 7 yds. I had not shoot it for 6 months. The yellow square are shots from my carry Glock 23 (.40) at 10yds. I shoot it once a month. The green square are shots from my PPQ M2 (9mm) at 10 yds. I shoot an average of 1.5 times a week. I practice a lot with my 9mms. Itís the cheapest ammo now. So yes ... Iím switching my carry to one of of my PPQs.
    07DC20D9-081D-421F-BB87-AF32B05C1F6E.jpg
    00717F68-255D-40F3-BCE3-9CAD9A3EBD43.jpeg
    Work with what you got ... not what you hope for.

Member Rep Power: 0
    Rep Level: PDF Range Junkie

Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    ^^ I had an LCR 9mm Ruger and could not hit anything with it. I sold it shortly thereafter. IDK why, I thought it would be ideal at the time. Walther is a good platform.

Unrepentant chocoholic Rep Power: 100
    Rep Level: PDF Constitution Protector
    Threads
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    870 Post(s)
    Is it possible that you might shoot a gun more accurately which you shoot six times as often?

Just asking, although I do know that it is easier to get fairly rapid shots back on target with 9mm rounds than with 40 - at least that is what I have read from several posts here and other places.
    Click here to find out how you can help a fellow PDF member
    https://www.personaldefenseforum.net...my-dear-friend

Senior Member Rep Power: 14
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it possible that you might shoot a gun more accurately which you shoot six times as often?

Just asking, although I do know that it is easier to get fairly rapid shots back on target with 9mm rounds than with 40 - at least that is what I have read from several posts here and other places.
    Granny this is JMO . As long as I'm moving from pistol to pistol, doesn't make any difference .

From pistol to revolver it does until I get used to shooting a revolver again.

When my church security partners and I train we spend part of the time shooting each others weapons.

Moving from Glock ,to Sig, to Ruger and Smith spistols striker fired , DA/S.A. DOA, in various calibers from 9 to 40 to 45 doesn't seem to make much difference.

Move to revolvers it does until getting used to a revolver again.

Exception is the DB9 BUG I carry. At 25 yards my old eyes have a hard time with the smaller sights though I can still hit COM
    The changing around doesn't seem to make a drastic difference to the other guys either.

Unrepentant chocoholic Rep Power: 100
    Threads
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    870 Post(s)
    I'm impressed, Ghost, that you and your security partners are doing that cross training! I know "the word is" that if you know how to shoot properly you should be able to pick up any gun and use it effectively. However, the reality for most of us is that a gun that has a really different grip, distance to the trigger, different sights, etc. is going to be somewhat of a challenge. Training with each other's weapons, I THINK, will be very helpful if the worst comes to pass and you need to use one of those other guns.

I get your point about having to relearn revolvers also. I learned on revolvers and it took me some time to learn to shoot a Glock (my first semi that I chose for myself). Now I so seldom shoot revolvers that in order to hit POA with one, I am snail-slow.
    Click here to find out how you can help a fellow PDF member
    https://www.personaldefenseforum.net...my-dear-friend

Senior Member Rep Power: 6
    Rep Level: PDF Freedom Seeker
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)

Very impressive Ghost. I’ve known ONE person ... a winner of numerous pistol championships in the midwest ... who was an excellent shot with any make and model of handgun. I’m far south of that ability.
    Work with what you got ... not what you hope for.

Senior Member Rep Power: 14
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very impressive Ghost. I’ve known ONE person ... a winner of numerous pistol championships in the midwest ... who was an excellent shot with any make and model of handgun. I’m far south of that ability.
    Thanks . But I'm hardly a champion shooter lol.

We train with each others handguns for the worst case scenario where one or more would be down the remaining cam make effective use of their weapons if needed. Since we carry multiple weapons each it could amount to a goodly amount more firepower.

Never likely to happen of course. We just want to be as well prepared as possible.

Southern Steel Rep Power: 7
    Rep Level: PDF Militia
    Threads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)
    I'm able to swap between platforms one after the other and still keep my hits close to where I want them I do prefer Sig DA/SA or a 1911 in auto pistols though with a revolver my taste run to 3-4" K/L frame S&W or a Ruger GP 100 I'm confident enough of my ability with them to put my butt on the line with either platform
    Diligentia,Vis,Celeritas.

Live long and prosper, ; Spock

Junior Member Rep Power: 0
    Rep Level: New PDF Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Interesting. Thanks for posting!

I had a PPQ in .40 several years ago. Good pistol, but I needed up trading it in on something else that caught my eye at the time........