Threads
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    921 Post(s)

Doing the Range Dance!

This evening was our last Pistols and Potluck group for the year. It was a small turnout with not enough people to justify using both the lower range and the upper all-steel range, so everyone went up to the steel range. There is a pavilion with a long "shooting table/bench" and any number of people (up to maybe 6) can stand wherever they wish and shoot the steel targets in the area in front of them.

There was a couple to my left, taking turns shooting. It seemed that when he was shooting most of his brass was determined to attack me. I know that part of what he/they were shooting was .22 but not sure of what else. I wear safety glasses and a baseball cap to protect my head and eyes, and normally wear a high neck shirt - turtle neck it if is not TOO hot outside. Today I wore a women's top that had a medium high neck, but not like I usually wear. MISTAKE!

For the first time ever I got hot brass in my shirt! My top was obviously a bit too loose around the neck area. SUDDENLY - YEP - one hot casing went in and down, stuck at my waist - and then as I pulled out the waist of my jeans to get it to fall it stuck at the top of my thigh, so I was doing a real fancy dance and at the same time pulling out on my pant leg and shaking it like crazy.

Jerry, the range officer, came over to me with a grin and said "Hot brass?".......you can't mistake THAT DANCE! Finally it did fall out the bottom of my pants leg. Didn't leave any marks on me, but it was definitely hot.

This evening I did find 3 "red dots" on my neck, above where the neck of the shirt was. Whether that was more of his brass that hit and bounced off, or bits of sprall, I'm not sure. What I am sure of is that I'm going back to turtle necks no matter what the weather!
    Click here to find out how you can help a fellow PDF member
    https://www.personaldefenseforum.net...my-dear-friend

Senior Member Rep Power: 14
    Rep Level: PDF Constitution Protector
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1278 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This evening was our last Pistols and Potluck group for the year. It was a small turnout with not enough people to justify using both the lower range and the upper all-steel range, so everyone went up to the steel range. There is a pavilion with a long "shooting table/bench" and any number of people (up to maybe 6) can stand wherever they wish and shoot the steel targets in the area in front of them.

There was a couple to my left, taking turns shooting. It seemed that when he was shooting most of his brass was determined to attack me. I know that part of what he/they were shooting was .22 but not sure of what else. I wear safety glasses and a baseball cap to protect my head and eyes, and normally wear a high neck shirt - turtle neck it if is not TOO hot outside. Today I wore a women's top that had a medium high neck, but not like I usually wear. MISTAKE!

For the first time ever I got hot brass in my shirt! My top was obviously a bit too loose around the neck area. SUDDENLY - YEP - one hot casing went in and down, stuck at my waist - and then as I pulled out the waist of my jeans to get it to fall it stuck at the top of my thigh, so I was doing a real fancy dance and at the same time pulling out on my pant leg and shaking it like crazy.

Jerry, the range officer, came over to me with a grin and said "Hot brass?".......you can't mistake THAT DANCE! Finally it did fall out the bottom of my pants leg. Didn't leave any marks on me, but it was definitely hot.

This evening I did find 3 "red dots" on my neck, above where the neck of the shirt was. Whether that was more of his brass that hit and bounced off, or bits of sprall, I'm not sure. What I am sure of is that I'm going back to turtle necks no matter what the weather!
    You should try a,22 lr bullet that stops against the sternum. Burns like the very devil .

Wife has caught some hot 9mm brass down her top. Probably similar dance too.

Senior Member Rep Power: 6
    Rep Level: PDF Freedom Seeker
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)
    During the summer I shoot exclusively at an indoor range. I wear sandals rather than shoes. Yep ... 10 times out of 10 a hot 9mm brass lands on my exposed foot. Still every time i head for the range the brain says “Sandals will be cooler” and the feet are saying ”Put on some shoes”. The feet never win.
    Work with what you got ... not what you hope for.

Unrepentant chocoholic Rep Power: 100
    Threads
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    921 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
    During the summer I shoot exclusively at an indoor range. I wear sandals rather than shoes. Yep ... 10 times out of 10 a hot 9mm brass lands on my exposed foot. Still every time i head for the range the brain says “Sandals will be cooler” and the feet are saying ”Put on some shoes”. The feet never win.
    The groups I shoot with required closed toe shoes or you can't participate. Part of the reason for that is the range "floor" is gravel. The other part is safety, both for stability of stance and to prevent "hot feet." Two months ago a woman showed up at our Women's League in flip flops. One of the other women graciously offered to let her use her tennis shoes, so when one was shooting with the shoes on the other could reload her magazines.

Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)
    SG ... all the local outdoor ranges require shoes. The indoor range “recommends” shoes. When I was still shooting IDPA I always wore low top laced boots.

Asst. Administrator Rep Power: 100
    Rep Level: PDF Bronze Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    SUDDENLY - YEP - one hot casing went in and down, stuck at my waist ... so I was doing a real fancy dance and at the same time pulling out on my pant leg and shaking it like crazy.
    It only lasts for a couple of seconds.

I haven't done a serious study of it, of course, but I've had plenty of the little buggers drop into offending spots over the years. I'm convinced that if you "lean into it" (ensure you get good skin contact for a second or two, the heat dissipates much more rapidly. Of course, there's a greater chance of a small burn, particularly if you're using "hot" ammo loads. But, still. Goes away quickly, if it happens to get stuffed into a tight spot. BTDT, a few times.

So! About the only way to avoid the dance: Go with the flow ... and "lean into it."
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

Unrepentant chocoholic Rep Power: 100
    Threads
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    921 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    BTDT, a few times.

So! About the only way to avoid the dance: Go with the flow ... and "lean into it."
    I have no idea which way I was leaning! I do know that it is somewhat of a challenge to pull the waist of your jeans out enough to let the piece of brass drop when you are wearing a double thick, super sturdy Armour gun belt loaded with various and sundry pieces of gear plus an OWB holster and also an IWB holster AND a Remora magazine holder tucked inside!

Asst. Administrator Rep Power: 100
    Rep Level: PDF Bronze Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    I have no idea which way I was leaning! I do know that it is somewhat of a challenge to pull the waist of your jeans out enough to let the piece of brass drop when ...
    What I meant was, it takes the heat only a couple seconds to dissipate. Of course, that's into the skin and your clothing, so it can sting a little. But it's about the only way I've found to avoid "the dance." About the only spot I've not been able to tolerate for a moment is between the sunglasses and eyebrow. Boy, howdy!, when hot brass from a "hot" round balances just right on the rim of the glasses, it can fry a neat little spot onto the eyelid. Sensitive little buggers, eyelids.
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

Curmudgeon Rep Power: 20
    Rep Level: PDF Gold Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2425 Post(s)
    My son managed to lodge a hot 9mm case between his shoe and his bare foot. I had no idea he could boogie like that!
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    227 Post(s)
    “I'm convinced that if you "lean into it" (ensure you get good skin contact for a second or two, the heat dissipates much more rapidly.“

Or as the Buddhist say ... “Become one with the pain”. I’ve tried that with some various aching pains with some success but any real pain is beyond my meditations.

Senior Member Rep Power: 10
    Rep Level: PDF American
    Threads
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    653 Post(s)
    Once again proving "Break Dancing" was invented by Curly from the Three Stooges and those who get ejected brass lodged on (odd) places. Yuk-Yuk-Yuk

Senior Member Rep Power: 3
    Rep Level: PDF Range Master
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)
    At the indoor range I work at all employees cycle through RSO duties for a couple of hours a day. Everytime I see "The Range Dance" I have to turn away laughing. Now let me say that this is not definitively a female problem. I've seen men, myself included, get hot brass down a shirt and the dance moves are the same; and they are always funny to watch from the sidelines. As someone said about the 3 Stooges, a pie in the face is funny as long as it's not in your face.

Now that said, I've seen many more women put the gun down facing down range (quickly of course) before tending to the hot brass than I have men. That includes hot brass in the shirts, behind glasses, and anywhere else it may land and sit long enough for a reaction.

Rep Level: PDF Green Dragon
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)
    You need to add a dickie to your range bag.

Not sure, but having a piece of hot brass at my waist, I'm thinking down is the last place I want it to go from there.

Senior Member Rep Power: 4
    Threads
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    173 Post(s)
    Both my wife and I are left-handed.

She once burned through most of a a 32-round magazine with a 9mm submachine gun before suddenly deciding a scoop-neck blouse wasn't a good idea.

That was in 1985, and she still gets hostile when I mention the Brass Dance...

Curmudgeon Rep Power: 20
    Rep Level: PDF Gold Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2425 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
    “I'm convinced that if you "lean into it" (ensure you get good skin contact for a second or two, the heat dissipates much more rapidly.“

Or as the Buddhist say ... “Become one with the pain”. I’ve tried that with some various aching pains with some success but any real pain is beyond my meditations.
    Caution--Language.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...26&FORM=VDQVAP
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.