Love Love:  0
Laugh Out Loud Laugh Out Loud:  0

Thread: Miss Minnie's trip to the spa - (revamping my original G42)

Unrepentant chocoholic Rep Power: 100
    Rep Level: PDF Constitution Protector
    Threads
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    920 Post(s)

Miss Minnie's trip to the spa - (revamping my original G42)

Going back five years or so, when "the guys" on a certain forum badgered me until I agreed to go and look at a G42 (I refused to shoot mouse guns way back then!): As soon as I handled it I knew it WAS MINE..........and really enjoyed it all through a few years of a lot of fun shooting it, often in competition, until it got so it wasn't working right at all. It had that original G42 8# trigger pull but my hands were way stronger then and I really didn't notice it. I only shot Glock semi autos back then.

Then, Gramps detail stripped it (can't remember why) and he unknowingly put a part back in the wrong way That made the gun malfunction big time.

In Jan, 2016 I took it to a lgs to have them send it to Glock for me. THEY insisted they could fix it. Well, they didn't. They moved the one part on the inside of the gun that they said was out of place, put GREASE ON IT, and charged me $60 for smith work. I was furious! I used it less and less as time went by and lately have shot it a bare minimum so I could still use it as a carry gun once in a while.

Fast forward. This time, with my weak arthritic hands not wanting to shoot this gun at all - after repeated testing with my trigger pull gauge and after reading that Glock will fix those original production 8 pound triggers, Miss Skinny Minnie took a trip back to the mother ship.

Glock said they would be happy to revamp it to standard Glock trigger pull specifications but since it was so old we had to pay to send it to them. Having a now preferred FFL ship it for me cost only $30 vs. the close to $70 if we had to send it ourselves by FedEx next day air.

So Skinny Minnie had a few days at "THE SPA" for refreshing and renewal.......

Total turn around time was 10 days, but most of that was excess travel time since the gun was shipped out on a Thursday and shipped back on a Friday.......arriving at both ends on Mondays. OK, given all that, it was remarkable customer service on Glock's part.

They replaced at least 10 parts and Minnie now has a 6# trigger pull. It perhaps might lighten up a half pound if it gets shot enough. The reset, though, is 3/4 of the way out to the end of the LONG trigger pull. Heck, the trigger pull is so long it almost feels like a Ruger! I have been spoiled in the past couple of years with other brands with smoother triggers and the trigger of this only remaining Glock of mine feels CLUNKY. I will not spend money buying after market parts for this gun!

I sent a detailed problem description with the gun as I always do if sending a gun anywhere for work. I specified that I had used Frog Lube exclusively on this gun. And guess what? After they installed all the new parts: THEY OILED IT!!!!! When you put oil on top of Frog Lube, you have a major gunk-up disaster waiting to happen very soon.

Good thing I like to clean guns. I removed all of that oil with 91% Isopropyl alcohol and then I used my hair dryer to get all the parts good and hot and slather them with Frog Lube, to sit for a while before being wiped off. Now Minnie looks like she should look.

I still can't rack the slide back to slide lock without using a HandiRacker, but I can pull it far enough to reset the trigger, for what that's worth. I don't dry fire this gun much, preferring to get out and SHOOT.

I still prefer shooting my two SIG P238's and my two M&P's.....the EZ and the .22 compact. The M&P's are range toys. The SIGS are carry guns most of the time. Minnie conceals better, though.

That's my story.
    Click here to find out how you can help a fellow PDF member
    https://www.personaldefenseforum.net...my-dear-friend

Senior Member Rep Power: 8
    Rep Level: PDF Militia
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    I liked the way the G42 felt in my hand. I may have to look at one again.

Unrepentant chocoholic Rep Power: 100
    Rep Level: PDF Constitution Protector
    Threads
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    920 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RScottie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I liked the way the G42 felt in my hand. I may have to look at one again.
    It is an extremely accurate little shooter.
    Click here to find out how you can help a fellow PDF member
    https://www.personaldefenseforum.net...my-dear-friend

Asst. Administrator Rep Power: 100
    Rep Level: PDF Bronze Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    From time to time, I've sent off firearms to the maker to have them massaged or updated. Mostly, it's gone flawlessly.

My original CZ P-01 had a bit of a gritty trigger pull, and I'd wanted it to be smoother and more-reliable for shooting. Had a respected CZ gunsmith do the trigger job ... and it turned out fantastically smooth. (Pistolsmith Matt Mink, of Automatic Accuracy [now, ArmTac].)

Had an STI Shadow .45 1911, for a time, which was sent to STI a couple of times to correct failures to fire, cycle, etc. They never did fix it properly. Ended up selling it, with the known problem. The buyer swapped out the slide stop and another couple of parts, and he got it running like a top. Great gun, but for me it simply couldn't be fixed, my not knowing enough about 1911's to be capable of nailing down the trouble. Was surprised as anything that STI, themselves, couldn't cope with the correction, even with two shots at it. But that sort of thing's par for the course, in my experience. No biggie. Went on to other, more-reliable sidearms (like the CZs).

I, too, much prefer to do my own cleaning. I dislike when a maker or gunsmith opts to oil it up, as though it's known what my preferences are. I generally take off whatever they've put on, then reapply my own cleaning/lubricating choices. 'Cause, you never know with chemicals, which ones are going to "gum up" things when combined with whatever's already on there, and you never know the quality of application they're going to do.

Glad to hear the G42's a bit more usable, these days.
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik