Threads
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    953 Post(s)

New red dot for Gramps

SO - Gramps ordered a Vortex Venom 3MOA red dot sight at a small discount from one of the on line stores. Then he ordered a mounting plate from the assortment available on Amazon.

The sight came promptly. The mounting plate came from China. OK, they all are made in China, but this one came from China so it was over 3 weeks until it was delivered.

He put the plate and the sight on his Glock 19 and off to the range he went. He came back a while later with a cut right above his one eyebrow. More like a slice, actually. 9 rounds and the whole thing, mounting plate and all, flew off! Then he took it apart and determined that the screws that came with the mounting plate were too short. He phoned Vortex and they immediately sent two little envelopes with different sizes of longer screws - and a free hat - which I am enjoying wearing!

Redo the process. Yes, he used blue lock tight. Back to the range. THIS TIME it only 3 rounds before the sight fell off, but at least it didn't hit him in the face this time. In the meantime, Granny was reading customer reviews for a couple hours (which Gramps didn't let me take time to do when he wanted to order that mounting plate). Turns out that ALMOST EVERY ONE of the ones that are designed the same way, (with the separate piece that goes in the slot for the rear sign and have to be screwed down there and in the front) refuse to stay on the gun - no matter what brand gun.

I did get a refund for that piece of junk from the Amazon seller.

He phoned Vortex again and asked WHERE he could get a mounting plate that would actually stay on the gun. They told him there is one brand that is made properly - one piece, formed properly. It is EGW. It costs $50, compared to the $16 to $26 for the other brands that fall off - soon sooner, some later. $50 plus $8.50 shipping and 3 days later the new plate arrived in the mail.
    http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=c...mounting+plate

It comes with very specific instructions. Very specific. Follow them!

Gramps' words: 'THIS THING IS NEVER GOING TO COME OFF!!!!!" It is made properly, meaning that it takes a while to get it into the rear sight channel, but fits perfectly, and snugly. Off to the range he went this morning to zero in the red dot and shot 50 rounds, some on IDPA target for exact placement and some on a steel dueling tree just for FUN. No misses. Not one.

Gramps is happy. I am (possibly) even happier! After all, it used to be my Glock 19.

New sight: $190
    New correct mounting plate: $58.49
    Gramps' smile: PRICELESS
    Last edited by ShooterGranny; October 13th, 2019 at 10:11 PM.
    Don't just post your feelings here, please. DO SOMETHING that can make a difference.

Southern Steel Rep Power: 7
    Rep Level: PDF Militia
    Threads
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    149 Post(s)
    Glad y'all got it to working and that G19 is seeing some action
    Diligentia,Vis,Celeritas.

Live long and prosper, ; Spock

Unrepentant chocoholic Rep Power: 100
    Rep Level: PDF Constitution Protector
    Threads
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    953 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subhuman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Glad y'all got it to working and that G19 is seeing some action
    Me too! It is the last Glock 9mm that was mine which is still living at our house!
    Don't just post your feelings here, please. DO SOMETHING that can make a difference.