Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why does this trivial stuff make news?

Senior Member Rep Power: 20
    Rep Level: PDF Bronze Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1115 Post(s)
    Well,,, I do believe that there are good and there are bad in LE,,, and everybody is entitled to their opinion,,, personally,,, I don’t think that coffee boy should have wrote pig on the cup as an insult because he was on a job and should have been more professional,,, I also don’t think that this post by PD was worth the ink,,, if the PO didn’t like the way he was treated,, give the coffee back and go somewhere else...

Now as far as here in NY,,, I’ve lost respect for most cops,,, I have no need for them nor do I even see them as real cops,, lots of filthy dirty criminals wearing badges here in NY,, nothing but glorified meter maids and money collectors for the city,,, for instance,, my youngest son,, 17 years old,,, one of the safest drivers that you can imagine,, driving home at night from his job,,, 2 cars racing fly past him,, he’s driving a very nice Mercedes,,, cop pulls him over,, asks him very aggressively,, are you with those 2 cars,, my boy is nervous and says no, I’m on my way home from work,, cop asks him where do you work,, my boy tells him where he works,,, then cop asks him,, do you know how fast you where going,, my boy, very nervous says he’s not sure but it was around 50,, cop yells at him and says,, you better tell me how fast you are going before I write you up,, last chance,, my son tells him,, I dunno,, maybe 55,, cop says no,, you where going 54 in a 50,, now he tells my boy that he looks like a good boy and that’s a really nice car he’s driving,, let me see your license,, my boy opens his wallet and hands over his license,, cop looks into my sons open wallet and asks,, what is that,, my boy says it’s my drivers permit, I just got my license,,, cop says let me see it,, my boy hands it to him,, Pig writes him a $250 ticket for carrying 2 licenses,, yup,, that’s a Pig,, not a cop...

I was furious and wanted to slap that punk up but good,,, next day,, I get a call from the PBA soliciting donations,, I cussed that boy to high hell,, did he deserve me cussing him? No,, but that Pig had made me dislike the uniform rather than the man,,, at the end of the day,, nobody knows if that coffee boy was just harassed by a Pig,, maybe that PO was lucky that the coffee boy only wrote Pig on the cup rather that do something worse to the coffee,,, if that Pig that gave my boy that ticket came to me for coffee,, let’s just say it wouldn’t taste so pleasant.
    You Can't Keep it Unless You Give it Away...........

Senior Member Rep Power: 14
    Rep Level: PDF Constitution Protector
    Threads
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1380 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Siam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you serious? I mean seriously LOL. Are you serious with that comment?

The LEO was not responding to a call where he could expect to be harassed. The man was buying coffee. So if he happened to be on duty, so be it.

Are you saying a LEO should expect rude behaviour and blow off people being offensive when he is doing something totally unrelated to his professional duties?

Whatever. I have no problems with the COP putting this out for the media to pick up. Why it bugs you I have no idea. Don't read articles you feel are not newsworthy I guess is the best advice I can give to you.

BTW: I guess it is newsworthy since you felt strongly enough about it post about it and we are discussing the issue.
    No the incident itself was trivial and not newsworthy.

The fact it made national news at the behest of that department is a huge indicator of how weenified a great many officers and departments have become is worth discussing.
    Since the caliber of officer and how easily he gets his shorts in a bunch effects everyone he comes in v
    contact with.

And yes I am completely serious. LE is one job that if you can't take the heat it doesn't only affect you ,and you need a different profession.
    Odd how most folks who say they support the Constitution as written ,,,,,,,,,,,,really don't.

Senior Member Rep Power: 7
    Rep Level: PDF Militia
    Threads
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1676 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    No the incident itself was trivial and not newsworthy.

The fact it made national news at the behest of that department is a huge indicator of how weenified a great many officers and departments have become is worth discussing.
    Since the caliber of officer and how easily he gets his shorts in a bunch effects everyone he comes in v
    contact with.

And yes I am completely serious. LE is one job that if you can't take the heat it doesn't only affect you ,and you need a different profession.
    So, the COP of a town of 2000 people has enough influence to get Fox News to publish this? Why are you not mad at FOX news? It was there decision to determine it was newsworthy.

And you are still making assumptions about the LEO that was at the Starbucks. As far as you or I know, he just happened to mention this to the COP in casual conversation and it is possible the COP is the one that is butthurt. Also, the COP posted it on FB. You do not know that he contacted the media. FOX or someone might have seen it determined to follow up on it.

Basically, you are trashing a person and saying they were butthurt off of assumptions. You really do not know.

Yada yada...he took a pic of the ticket, got news for ya, I take pics of dumber things than that LOL.

Senior Member Rep Power: 6
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    386 Post(s)
    I think this should be news because it is outrageous behavior by an employee of a customer service oriented business toward a customer. News like this informs customer choices and puts pressure on the company to crack down on stuff like this, stuff that has happened before at Starbucks. Forget that it was a cop and whether or not he was "butt hurt." I want to know about Starbuck's screw ups toward any of their customers and I'm glad the media covered it. So as an audience member, it works for me.

Ya know, if you are not interested in an item in the news, you don't have to read it or watch it. I skip most of the stuff in my news feed just based on the headline. News is a consumer's market now. We can get the news we care about (although it may or may not be accurate and unbiased unfortunately) and skip what we don't.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Threads
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1380 Post(s)

So, the COP of a town of 2000 people has enough influence to get Fox News to publish this? Why are you not mad at FOX news? It was there decision to determine it was newsworthy.

And you are still making assumptions about the LEO that was at the Starbucks. As far as you or I know, he just happened to mention this to the COP in casual conversation and it is possible the COP is the one that is butthurt. Also, the COP posted it on FB. You do not know that he contacted the media. FOX or someone might have seen it determined to follow up on it.

Basically, you are trashing a person and saying they were butthurt off of assumptions. You really do not know.

Yada yada...he took a pic of the ticket, got news for ya, I take pics of dumber things than that LOL.

Ok . Fox picked it up from FB then went and interviewed the chief all without the officers knowledge or input.

Got it.
    Just wondering what said cop will do when somebody really does insult him or call him much worse than pig.

Maybe nothing, maybe body slam some 10 yr old girl.

I'll bow out now but said officer and those this easily "offended" cause alot of the them vs us attitude by their over reaction to nothing.
    Odd how most folks who say they support the Constitution as written ,,,,,,,,,,,,really don't.

Curmudgeon Rep Power: 20
    Rep Level: PDF Gold Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2448 Post(s)
    Doesn't matter if the customer was an LEO or anyone else, any employee of mine who did that would be fired for cause and ineligible for unemployment.
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Threads
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1380 Post(s)

Well, apparently the officer directly contacted the chief about this life threatening indecency. Who then, though out of town, called Starbucks DEMANDING an apology.

Really? When does LE ever have authority demand an apology? For anything?
    Chief doesn't get the groveling he demands , so puts the image on FB in an attempt to stir up the badge bunnies and get the barista fired. Which he did.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

I hazard a guess more effort was put into intimidating a business to fire and employee and grovel to the chief than the dept has ever put into finding a citizens stolen property.
    Last edited by Ghost1958; December 1st, 2019 at 09:40 PM.

Threads
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1676 Post(s)
    Well, apparently the officer directly contacted the chief about this life threatening indecency. Who then, though out of town, called Starbucks DEMANDING an apology.

Really? When does LE ever have authority demand an apology? For anything?
    Chief doesn't get the groveling he demands , so puts the image on FB in an attempt to stir up the badge bunnies and get the barista fired. Which he did.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAI...S&ceid=US%3Aen

I hazard a guess more effort was put into intimidating a business to fire and employee and grovel to the chief than the dept has ever put into finding a citizens stolen property.
    This is what I have gathered so far from this thread:

1: It is obviusly not a trivial news story since you are now researching other articles or sharing other articles from other news agencies.
    2: You are less focused on it being a trivial news story and more focused that in your opinion, a LEO should take any type of abse, even if it is not in the official capaicty of his duties, because he is "being paid for that"

Threads
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1380 Post(s)

This is what I have gathered so far from this thread:

1: It is obviusly not a trivial news story since you are now researching other articles or sharing other articles from other news agencies.
    2: You are less focused on it being a trivial news story and more focused that in your opinion, a LEO should take any type of abse, even if it is not in the official capaicty of his duties, because he is "being paid for that"
    The incident was trivial to the point of being a non event.

The fact there are LEO that feel so entitled to be admired etc that such a thing gets a personal response much less a dept demand for apologies and firings is rather news worthy.
    You came up with every excuse under the sun how this was even known to the chief besides the " offended " officer reporting it . I thought it appropriate to show you it was the officer himself crying to his chief that got this silly ball rolling.

We shouldn't even have heard of this.

Threads
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1676 Post(s)
    The incident was trivial to the point of being a non event.

The fact there are LEO that feel so entitled to be admired etc that such a thing gets a personal response much less a dept demand for apologies and firings is rather news worthy.
    You came up with every excuse under the sun how this was even known to the chief besides the " offended " officer reporting it . I thought it appropriate to show you it was the officer himself crying to his chief that got this silly ball rolling.

We shouldn't even have heard of this.
    But we/you did, and you still care

Threads
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1676 Post(s)
    @Ghost1958 What do you think is newsworthy and what is not? Pretty much everything is "news".

For example: I saw there was a plane crash in S. Dakota in the news. I did not click on it because I did not care about the story. And there was a plan crash in San Antonio last night/early this morning. I clicked on that since I cared about it.

Both were carried nationally.

What about sports? Do you think that anything a professional player does is "news" or "newsworthy"

I just need to know what your parameters are.

Should the 8-year-old raising money for climate change get a chance to be in the news or maybe the 8-year old that is raising money to lay wreaths on soldiers graves on Memorial day?

Threads
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1380 Post(s)

@Ghost1958 What do you think is newsworthy and what is not? Pretty much everything is "news".

For example: I saw there was a plane crash in S. Dakota in the news. I did not click on it because I did not care about the story. And there was a plan crash in San Antonio last night/early this morning. I clicked on that since I cared about it.

Both were carried nationally.

What about sports? Do you think that anything a professional player does is "news" or "newsworthy"

I just need to know what your parameters are.

Should the 8-year-old raising money for climate change get a chance to be in the news or maybe the 8-year old that is raising money to lay wreaths on soldiers graves on Memorial day?

I'm apparently incapable of making the point I'm trying to communicate. Which is probably my fault.

I'll just give up now lol.

Senior Member Rep Power: 11
    Rep Level: PDF American
    Threads
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1127 Post(s)
    If Ghost does not want it printed it must be news.

“News is something somebody doesn't want printed; all else is advertising.”
    ― William Randolph Hearst

I think there are those who believe that the news should always reflect their bias on "any" topic.

“The headlines screamed at him as soon as he saw the paper. He almost screamed back.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal
    “Civil Wars happen when the victimized are armed. Genocide happens when they are not.”
    ― A.E. Samaan

Threads
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1380 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BMcPhe44 View Post
    If Ghost does not want it printed it must be news.

“News is something somebody doesn't want printed; all else is advertising.”
    ― William Randolph Hearst

I think there are those who believe that the news should always reflect their bias on "any" topic.

“The headlines screamed at him as soon as he saw the paper. He almost screamed back.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal
    One more try.
    The caliber of officer that makes such a stink over nothing is the problem . Not that the media can be manipulated into printing it.

The Chief Martas caliber has pretty well been laid bare by his own daughter. I believe she used the words pig and camera whore among other compliments to describe him.

Yep. The media can be manipulated into covering a cow fart. That's a given.

The character of the officers who made such a stink over nothing is the question. Pretty well answered now.

Senior Member Rep Power: 5
    Rep Level: PDF Colonist

Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    504 Post(s)
    Ghost what would your response have been if you had been the officer?