Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Decide -- [ exampled by hesitation can get you killed posts ]
    Act -- [ exampled by H2h/weapons training posts ]

16 people will be working on their "act" portion next weekend in Lake Mary, Fla where I'm holding court that weekend in the ww2 open hand combative/defensive edged weapons course. Startle response work is fairly heavily covered through the two days.
    Sorry I won't be there. I'm sure all in attendance will be much better equipped for the act part of the equation the following Monday than they will be going into the class.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” Isaac Asimov

Senior Member Rep Power: 9
    Rep Level: PDF Militia
    Threads
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    302 Post(s)
    Thanks for the article, it was a good read.

I have two issues with SA as it is offten interpretted:
    - I think to some SA is a passive term meaning that you just see what is going on, but it is more. You need to actual observe it by seeing and then providing a quick level of analysis to whether or not it is something to pay more attention to.
    - SA is not an end result, it is a first step. Some never spend effort developing the other steps that are not used all the time. What do you do and how do you respond when you observe that something or someone that doesn't feel right. You need to at a minimum expend time mentally (preferable also physically) training how and when to respond.
    "It’s the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen George S. Patton

Member Rep Power: 0
    Rep Level: PDF Range Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    You have to live your life. You can't live everyday life like a Spec Ops guy in an ISIS village.
    Even the Spec Ops guys can't maintain 24/7 awareness. I know a man that used to be in an Air Force unit they didn't acknowledge until he had been out for six months. They had to pull their own security in-country. Straight up word from him was, nobody stays switched on all the time even when you're surrounded by people you know are looking to kill you.

We have to work on the idea that we will be hit by surprise. To not do that is to not acknowledge reality.
    "Oh, Bother," said Pooh as he locked another mag into the Tavor...

Senior Member Rep Power: 10
    Rep Level: PDF American
    Threads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    177 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CR Williams View Post
    Even the Spec Ops guys can't maintain 24/7 awareness. I know a man that used to be in an Air Force unit they didn't acknowledge until he had been out for six months. They had to pull their own security in-country. Straight up word from him was, nobody stays switched on all the time even when you're surrounded by people you know are looking to kill you.

We have to work on the idea that we will be hit by surprise. To not do that is to not acknowledge reality.
    Nice summation.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” Isaac Asimov

Senior Member Rep Power: 10
    Rep Level: PDF American
    Threads
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    677 Post(s)
    Kind of a over statement of the obvious as already stated as "No fuel in the car, the car is useless"

I'm a believer in extremes, 0% up to 100%.

0% = Zero sensory input; autonomic or intentional..essentially the grave.

100% = not possible as all people need sleep.

SA, (unlike the author, I have no problem with the term), is a proportional term to survive/exist more comfortably in life.
    We ALL use it, non-gun carry people too.

Driving a car, a common skill by millions, is a perfect example. All drivers use SA; some better than others.
    We scan, we make assumptions, we anticipate, we react when necessary.

A 80 year old driver can not react as fast as a 20 yr old can to a unfolding situation; deer jumping across the road etc...

(IF) the 20 yr old is texting, the 80 yr old driver will have better reactionary time.

If we drive too fast, our SA begins to drop...(i.e) Tunnel vision.
    Drive VERY slow, our SA encompasses and digests far more input, reducing the odds of a outside influence causing a problem to our safety.
    Stay home, don't drive at all, one will never have a automobile collision.

How one reacts to external stimuli is another story entirely; be it a race car driver or carrying a weapon.
    "A covenant not to defend myself from force, by force, is always void"...Thomas Hobbes

Member Rep Power: 0
    Rep Level: New PDF Member

Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    pay attention.. that's it. Its not much deeper than that.

Forget the whole situational awareness fan boi tripe as you are not likely to achieve it accept in the most narrow of circumstances where you are working in concert with other competent observers or technology. If you want to do something toward bolstering your awareness, get you head out of your phone and conduct a thoughtful survey of the scene you currently occupy. You are not likely to get much of a read beyond your immediate bubble but that is about all you can hope for when working alone in fluid public spaces which you do not likely control. If you want to do something toward bolstering your awareness, a person should probably learn about basic observation tactics as they relate to threat assessing. Most untrained people will construct a survey that is 80% static and 20% efficacious. The idea is to flip those numbers via proper training. Still, we are only talking about a bubble of awareness in most circumstances. Situational awareness is generally a much larger, broader more encompassing endeavor altogether.
    Last edited by Telstar6; September 13th, 2019 at 09:03 PM.