Rep Level: PDF Militia
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    My wife and I just found a great 8 part series on Netflix called, "Mystery Road." It is a detective murder mystery set in the present day Australian outback. It got 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is almost unheard of and an 85% viewer approval. It deserves those ratings, IMHO. My wife and I blew through he first four episodes the first night. We couldn't stop watching it. It is tough, gritty and it deals with racial issues and drug problems in rural Australia. The acting is superb, the plot gets you hooked and won't let go and the cinematography is spectacular.

Asst. Administrator Rep Power: 100
    Rep Level: PDF Bronze Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1585 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pirates, the 1986 film directed by Roman Polanski, starring Walter Matthau and Damien Thomas.

Gotta love a great film! Recently watched it again.

One of the Captain's pearls of wisdom:

"Easier to live without a head than without gold, you numbskull."

- Captain Thomas Bartholomew Red (aka the pirate), as played by Walter Matthau, in the 1986 film Pirates

Ha!
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik

Senior Member Rep Power: 10
    Rep Level: PDF American
    Threads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    774 Post(s)
    I just watched Casablanca again after decades. Wow! That movie was made in 1942 and is still good. What a story! No computer generated effects. I gotta watch more old movies.
    TANSTAAFL - "Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
    OldVet, 30 March 2018: "But being the agreeable sort, I agree."

Senior Member Rep Power: 4
    Rep Level: PDF Colonial Warrior
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)
    The Highwaymen with Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson. 2 retired Texas Rangers brought in to track Bonnie and Clyde. Told from the POV of the Rangers.

Moderator of the Universe Rep Power: 20
    Rep Level: PDF Silver Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2197 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    The Highwaymen with Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson. 2 retired Texas Rangers brought in to track Bonnie and Clyde. Told from the POV of the Rangers.
    We watched that a couple of weeks ago, it was good! One thing that amazed me was the star status that B&C held with people when they were no more than 2 bit, cold blooded killers who murdered average citizens for no reason at all.

Moderator of the Universe Rep Power: 20
    Rep Level: PDF Silver Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2197 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Since Texas Red brought up a movie about India, I can strongly recommend "Delhi Crime," a docu-drama based on a horrific 2012 Delhi gang rape/murder case that had ripple effects throughout India. The online research I did indicates that it is fairly accurate, but it is also really well acted, directed and filmed. It is some gritty detective stuff that makes some US detective drama seem almost antiseptic. It is definitely a binge watch.

I followed the links in your post and came across this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India%27s_Daughter

Did you see "India's Daughter" too?

I was reading the article along with it and there are some really shocking comments that were made by the rapists and the defense attorney...like what he would do to his own daughter.

Senior Member Rep Power: 5
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanlouise View Post
    I followed the links in your post and came across this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India%27s_Daughter

Did you see "India's Daughter" too?

I was reading the article along with it and there are some really shocking comments that were made by the rapists and the defense attorney...like what he would do to his own daughter.
    I have not, but I read about it when I was looking into the Delhi Crime backstory and I watched a YouTube video where the director of India's Daughter was interviewed. Frankly, I was so disgusted by the crime itself and the way it was depicted in Delhi Crime, I didn't want to watch the documentary. I am not horrified by much, but that really upset me.

I will share that I have visited India on business and worked for three Indian companies. I have also had Indian culture explained to me by a friend who is now an American, but who grew up in India. Their views on women are very contradictory. On one hand, women have more stringent protection laws in India than we do in the US. Women have held higher offices in government more often than in the US. Culturally, women are literally worshiped in India, as long as they follow social norms. But if a woman is seen as dishonoring herself in any way, it is a whole other story. In Delhi Crime, one of the rapists almost got away, but gave himself up when the cops threatened to tell his mother, a shame he could not bear. He hung himself in prison when he realized his mom would find out anyway.

It is the 4th most dangerous country in the world for women. The following are not uncommon in India.
    • Child marriage
    • Domestic violence
    • Female infanticide and sex-selective abortion
    • Honor killings
    • Accusations of witchcraft and resulting executions (over 750 a year, mostly in rural areas)
    • Rape
    • Sexual harassment
    • Sex trafficking
    • Aggravated assaults of all kinds

Delhi Crime makes it clear that the victim not conducting herself as society expected was a big factor in the crime and the resulting legal proceeding, in one case even with a female judge, all of which is horrible beyond words.
    Last edited by jmf552; May 12th, 2019 at 10:03 PM.

Senior Member Rep Power: 3
    Rep Level: PDF Range Master
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    I keep meaning to watch this, everyone I know who has seen it thought it was very good.

Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    I recently watched The Accountant again, and love this movie. Affleck does a great job portraying someone with a high performing level of Aspergers, and I like the weapons skill set depicted. The movie is wrapped up nicely at the end. I would love to see a sequel to it.

Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The "Man With No Name" trilogy of "spaghetti" western films: A Fistful of Dollars (1964) ... For a Few Dollars More (1965) ... and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966).

Starring Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, Eli Wallach, Gian Maria Volontè. Directed by Sergio Leone, and with music by Ennio Morricone, these films are amazing classics. Rough, direct, cliche ... but powerful, interesting, and now-classic.

Gotta love 'em.
    Love these, along with High Plains Drifter.

Member Rep Power: 0
    Rep Level: PDF Range Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    I'm a die hard Star Wars fan....and watch any of them when available.

But- some exceptional movies-

Hunt for Red October ...Sean Connery
    The Whole Nine Yards...Bruce Willis
    Rogue One....... Star Wars

And if I wasn't suffering with Old Timers.....I could remember more.

Senior Member Rep Power: 5
    Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    We just watched a great documentary movie that a lot of you might not think you would be interested in, but it was so good, I have to recommend it.

It is the "The Circus" a two part documentary movie on PBS. It charts the history of the traveling circus, particularly Barnum and Bailey and the Ringling Brothers, from their inception until their decline. You don't have to be interested in the circus to like this movie. It really is a tale about so much more than that. It is about how the circus was a distillation of the American spirit and how it had a profound influence ton American society. It covers both the good and the bad about circuses, and parallels it with the good and bad about what was going on in the US at the time.

A lot of what circuses did to people was very bad by today's standards and the documentary is honest about that. But on the good side:

• In the 1800's circus introduced entertainment concepts that would go on influence motion pictures, radio and TV. In fact, the circus introduced movies to the public. At one point, the Barnum and Bailey circus had a movie tent that showed films using a projector that had just been invented by Edison. The circuses also featured dramatic historical productions, with hundreds of actors. It was the first chance Americans outside of the big cities got to see live drama on that scale.
    • The circus provided many Americans their first experience with electric lights. The took newly invented generators on the road with them so they could do night shows and it was so astounding to the public, people started buying tickets just to see the generators. It no doubt inspired kids to go into engineering and pushed smaller towns to get electricity sooner than they might have.
    • Circuses provided Americans their first direct experience of exotic animals and people from other cultures very different from ours. A lot of that was exploitative and the documentary admits that, but it also opened American minds about the world much more viscerally than the educational system did.
    • The Barnum and Bailey circus had a significant, recognized influence on women getting the right to vote. That is a longer story, but the documentary tells it well.

It was a very interesting, engaging and well done four hours.

Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by higgy baby View Post
    I'm a die hard Star Wars fan....and watch any of them when available.

But- some exceptional movies-

Hunt for Red October ...Sean Connery
    The Whole Nine Yards...Bruce Willis
    Rogue One....... Star Wars

And if I wasn't suffering with Old Timers.....I could remember more.
    I have been a Hunt for Red October fan since I read the book. I also agree on being a Star Wars fan!

Threads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanlouise View Post
    We watched that a couple of weeks ago, it was good! One thing that amazed me was the star status that B&C held with people when they were no more than 2 bit, cold blooded killers who murdered average citizens for no reason at all.
    Yep, and it seems that every movie about Bonnie and Clyde romanticized them and what they did.

Asst. Administrator Rep Power: 100
    Rep Level: PDF Bronze Member
    Threads
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1585 Post(s)
    I have been a Hunt for Red October fan since I read the book. I also agree on being a Star Wars fan!
    Loved the basic "Jack Ryan" series of books. The films, not nearly so much.

The Hunt for Red October (book and film)
    Patriot Games (book and film)
    Clear and Present Danger (book and film)
    The Sum of All Fears (book, but not the film)
    Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (film)

I wish a handful of the "Patrick McLanahan" series of books by Dale Brown would be made into feature films. Somewhat similar to Tom Clancy's "Jack Ryan" books, in terms of the technical/warfare aspects and the character development. Several might be pretty good.

Flight of the Old Dog
    Sky Masters
    Shadows of Steel

Ah, well. We can hope.
    Cardinal principle: Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Philosophy: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos)
    On the RKBA: Most of what you think you know about our Constitution is wrong -- Michael Badnarik