Thread: Sized up for attack maybe

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    381 Post(s)

Sized up for attack maybe

I work in a shady part of town. Not too bad, but a good number of homeless. Empty drug baggies on the street, etc. People generally have a time, place, and pace to their activities. Commuters are walking at a good clip mostly, walking with a purpose. Third shift folks are moving a bit slower but moving along. The morning exercise crowd are cranking by. Typical morning.

But there is this one guy. He doesn't fit. Place and pace are off. I spotted him a block away. Wearing a hoodie, ambling along, stopping every so often to check out the morning commuters and exercise crowd. Ducking into doorways of closed shops then stepping out behind folks. Thinking about being up to no good.

Pepper spray in hand in pocket I walk by the doorway he is concealed in. I know he saw me some ways back. I smiled and shouted hello with a head ripping crap down your neck grin. Caught him off guard. He stepped back, said hello, then looked away. I continued on my way looking in store windows to monitor my six.

Could have been nothing, but then again. Breaking the oda loop, an assertive posture, and confidence can sometimes put off trouble. Being prepared to back it up helps too.
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and personal responsibility of man.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    350 Post(s)
    Nice job, you demonstrated you were aware of his presence and that threw him off.
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.
    1/20/2017 The end of an error.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Happy ending. But even better- see him a block away, cross the street!
    "The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but safety is of the LORD" (pm me if you have any Bible questions)
    Ubi libertas ibi patria

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    Prime: Either you control the threat or the threat will controls you.
    “You had me at Death Ray.”

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    441 Post(s)
    I have always found a good city type equation (at least East Coast) was..... Confident + A Little Crazy = Scares BG's. But then, giving them a wide birth helps a lot too.
    Contact your reps about restrictive gun laws->https://act.nraila.org/
    Lady Shooters! PM me if you would like to join a female private firearms sub-group!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    317 Post(s)
    I would have sprayed him , LOL ..................................great job .
    Go ahead punk make my day ..................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Well done!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    I think you guys are assuming alot based on very little ,.. some would say that supposition is not a very good friend of probabilities. There is certainly nothing wrong with paying attention to your surroundings but once you begin to look too purposefully for a badguy in the bushes, you may begin to find a conspiracy behind every blade of grass. Maybe he thought you were the one "up to something". He is probably telling a similar story on some internet forum.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    381 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Telstar6 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you guys are assuming alot based on very little ,.. some would say that supposition is not a very good friend of probabilities. There is certainly nothing wrong with paying attention to your surroundings but once you begin to look too purposefully for a badguy in the bushes, you may begin to find a conspiracy behind every blade of grass. Maybe he thought you were the one "up to something". He is probably telling a similar story on some internet forum.
    Yeah, cause good guys wear hoodies in August in a drug part of the city. He was turning his life around and all that. Sure pal.
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and personal responsibility of man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Yeah, cause good guys wear hoodies in August in a drug part of the city. He was turning his life around and all that. Sure pal.

People wear hoodies all year round.. its a trend, especially with some who frequent bastions of emo/goth or hip hop. Some people live in the "bad" part of town, it does not automatically make them bad people. I am not suggesting that a person ignore their gut instincts about danger.. I am simply saying that in reading your narrative, I think you are assuming alot of things based on superficial nuances.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    554 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Telstar6 View Post
    People wear hoodies all year round.. its a trend, especially with some who frequent bastions of emo/goth or hip hop. Some people live in the "bad" part of town, it does not automatically make them bad people. I am not suggesting that a person ignore their gut instincts about danger.. I am simply saying that in reading your narrative, I think you are assuming alot of things based on superficial nuances.
    From the original post: I work in a shady part of town. Not too bad, but a good number of homeless. Empty drug baggies on the street, etc. People generally have a time, place, and pace to their activities. Commuters are walking at a good clip mostly, walking with a purpose. Third shift folks are moving a bit slower but moving along. The morning exercise crowd are cranking by. Typical morning.

But there is this one guy. He doesn't fit. Place and pace are off. I spotted him a block away. Wearing a hoodie, ambling along, stopping every so often to check out the morning commuters and exercise crowd. Ducking into doorways of closed shops then stepping out behind folks. Thinking about being up to no good.

Pepper spray in hand in pocket I walk by the doorway he is concealed in. I know he saw me some ways back. I smiled and shouted hello with a head ripping crap down your neck grin. Caught him off guard. He stepped back, said hello, then looked away. I continued on my way looking in store windows to monitor my six.

Could have been nothing, but then again. Breaking the oda loop, an assertive posture, and confidence can sometimes put off trouble. Being prepared to back it up helps too."

----
    There were a lot of things to consider. The part of town where hoodies mean a bit more than a style choice. A place where the crime rate is higher and one should be on a bit higher alert. And here's a guy who isn't fitting with the rest of the crowd who are trying to get along without being noticed and perhaps picked for the next victim. Not just one thing, but a preponderance of little things. I expect that if CTR took the time, could come up with a longer list of little items that made this guy stand out. Rarely are any of these group of things more than superficial, but they add up. And even in his first post, he admits that it could have been nothing. But, it is MUCH safer to take some defensive action such as breaking the OODA loop and a stance that shows he's not a victim than to wait and see if you're attacked or not.

My interpretation only, is that CTR is saying it's better to be safe than ignore a preponderance of superficial data. I expect that it's very rare that we have more than superficial data that a situation is about to go bad. By the time there is overt and comprehensive data, it's often too late to avoid or deescalate a situation.
    TANSTAAFL - "Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
    OldVet, 30 March 2018: "But being the agreeable sort, I agree."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    473 Post(s)
    I say ctr was doing a good job paying attention. It's obvious from the reaction of the guy hiding in the doorway. He to was surprised ctr was paying attention . I believe ctr practices good S.A no matter what neighborhood he is in.
    I don't see a problem in ctr's story . He's watching a guy ducking in and out of doorways belonging to closed business's. Not a normal way to walk to work or walk anywhere ! Otherwise we wouldn't be hearing about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    418 Post(s)
    Better safe than sorry.

Sometimes its nothing, sometimes its something.

Either way, best to be alert.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
    "We the people, are the rightful masters of both the Congress, and the Courts. Not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who have perverted it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I work in a shady part of town. Not too bad, but a good number of homeless. Empty drug baggies on the street, etc. People generally have a time, place, and pace to their activities. Commuters are walking at a good clip mostly, walking with a purpose. Third shift folks are moving a bit slower but moving along. The morning exercise crowd are cranking by. Typical morning.

Could have been nothing, but then again. Breaking the oda loop, an assertive posture, and confidence can sometimes put off trouble. Being prepared to back it up helps too.
    Very good. I like your approach. Using what i call "aggressive hospitality" is a good way to determine if someone's a potential threat. It's important to be confident and assertive to potentially ward off potential attackers.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    519 Post(s)
    Sometimes a guy in a hoodie is just a guy in a hoodie.

Sometimes he ain't.

I don't think I'd have shouted anything with a " crap down your throat " grin , which is as likely to cause a problem as avoid one , but being aware is never a bad thing.
    Odd how most folks who say they support the Constitution as written ,,,,,,,,,,,,really don't.