Thread: Women's Health - 9 Myths About Self Protection, Self Defense

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    393 Post(s)

Women's Health - 9 Myths About Self Protection, Self Defense

I just added some links to the "Woman's Only Private Group" on this forum, and I stumbled on this link

It is an interesting article. It is non-firearm based self-defense and situational awareness. I believe I have prevented many bad situations in my life by being aware of my surroundings and listening to my senses. The information appears to be in line with some female self-defense courses I have taken.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/life/...nse-techniques
    Contact your reps about restrictive gun laws->https://act.nraila.org/
    Lady Shooters! PM me if you would like to join a female private firearms sub-group!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    i would love to read it, but i refuse to allow any website through my adblocker....im sure it was a good read though
    "Know guns, no crime. No guns, know crime."
    - Ralph Lauretano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    148 Post(s)
    They never considered SHOOTING AN ATTACKER ?
    Gun culture at its best is rooted in a desire to protect, and especially to protect the people we love-Rachel Lu (University of St. Thomas)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    338 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAURAHE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i would love to read it, but i refuse to allow any website through my adblocker....im sure it was a good read though
    Same here.

Blackhawkgirl, could you give us a synopsis of the nine myths.
    Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    393 Post(s)

My Firefox/Ghostery successfully blocked the ads and I was still able to display.
    But it would be violating forum rules if I cut and pasted.

It was from a womens magazine, written by a man, but to Kennydales point, guns are not mentioned.

Lots of using and inflicting the absolute most pain possible, being proactive, don't waste time trying to remember self defense techniques that might not be relevant to that situation, do the most damage in the least amount of time, don't try to back away, fear is okay, being physically fit helps.
    Lady Shooters! PM me if you would like to join a female private firearms sub-group!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    338 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawkgirl View Post
    My Firefox/Ghostery successfully blocked the ads and I was still able to display.
    But it would be violating forum rules if I cut and pasted.
    I hope I don't get an infraction for this.

9 Myths About Self-ProtectionTo better protect yourself from dangerous people, you need to forget these 9 dangerous myths

BY TIM LARKIN September 11, 2013

Your biggest problem as a woman is not that you may be smaller or weaker than a typical sociopathic criminal. Your biggest obstacle is that you assume a set of potentially life-threatening beliefs about what to do in dangerous situations.

Myth #1 You should reason with your attacker.
    You've probably never pulled out a knife and demanded someone's watch. That's a good thing, of course, but it illustrates a vital point: Someone who would do such a thing doesn't think like you. Deep down, you probably believe there's a way to resolve a problem without anyone getting hurt. Attackers aren't playing by the same societal rules you are, so you can't react as if they are. All you can ever really do is level the playing field.

Myth #2 If you're attacked, scream for help.
    You don't have time to wait for a hero. During a truly violent encounter, you have about five seconds to act, and the safest self-defense technique to take in a violent encounter is to cause an injury. Mistakes usually come from some hesitation: pausing to see how things are going, lacking the will to really kick a man, or jumping around in a fighting stance. These are opportunities for him to recover and hurt you. The reverse is also true—if your attacker hesitates or makes a mistake, it gives you a critical moment that you must use to survive.

Myth #3 You need to cause pain.
    In order to be 100 percent effective, we have to discard the notion of pain as a useful tool in violence. You don't want to "hurt" him; you need to injure him. Anything you do in a violent, life-threatening situation that does not cause an injury is worthless to you.

Myth #4 Being fit can save your life.
    No matter how fit or strong you are, the best way to hone your self-protection skills is to focus on targeting key points of the body. After that, improving your fitness level can increase the force you deliver to the targets.

Myth #5 You need technical self-defense skills.
    Technique without injury is only a cool trick, and injury, regardless of how it occurred (with technique or by accident), will always be more effective. It's not important how the injury happens, only that it happens. His ribs don't know if they were broken by a boot, a stick, or a curb; they just know they're broken. All you need is force and a target.

Myth #6 Women who survive are fearless.
    The first effect in any violent situation is emotion, and the most common one is fear. When a man steps in front of you holding a knife, your adrenaline starts pumping and your heart beats faster. These are reactions that can't be avoided—nor should they be. It's the fight-or-flight survival instinct that allows you to focus on beating your enemy or getting the hell out of there.

Many people fear they will freeze up or act irrationally. When you know how to respond, you'll still feel a certain amount of fear that you could be hurt, or that you're about to cause harm to another human being, but that will be tempered with confidence.

Myth #7 Focus on blocking his attacks.
    Many self-protection classes teach you to react to an attacker's actions. This defensive thinking can make you hesitate ("What is he going to do to me?"), lose focus (waiting to get hurt makes most people freeze), and ultimately be one step behind the attacker. In a threatening situation, don't worry about what he's doing; make him worry about what you're doing.

Myth #8 Try to back away from your attacker.
    In life-threatening conflict, if you're not injuring someone, you're getting injured. Backing up or attempting to counter his "technique" with another technique (as is typically taught in self-defense classes) only gets you in more trouble: Your body is a lot better at going forward than it is at going backward; for every two feet you move backward, he can move forward three feet.

Myth #9 Hit as often and as quickly as possible.
    Punching and kicking are akin to slapping an attacker around. If you're in danger, you need to throw all your weight into a single target, or "strike." Imagine you're facing a giant predator and you have a big sack full of rocks. Throw a single rock and "ouch!" is the only reaction you're likely to get. But swing the entire sack at him, hitting him in the head, and he'll be out cold. That's the difference between punching and striking.
    Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1616 Post(s)
    Please, not during my drinking hour.
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    234 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Myth #3 You need to cause pain.
    In order to be 100 percent effective, we have to discard the notion of pain as a useful tool in violence. You don't want to "hurt" him; you need to injure him. Anything you do in a violent, life-threatening situation that does not cause an injury is worthless to you.
    Bad advice for women and for men too. Our need -- and intent -- is not to cause injury, but to stop the threat. BGs can remain a threat when injured, even with a soon to be fatal injury. Center mass shots may be fatal in as little as a few seconds, but the BG can still pull a trigger, slash, or whatever. This is sometimes called "the dead man's five seconds". We need to incapacitate, and incapacitate right now.

Short of multiple hits from a Ma Deuce, the best way to obtain instant incapacitation is with brain stem shots using an effective caliber. These shots are not easy, but with practice our skill will improve.

Have a plan.
    Practice the plan.
    Relying on luck is not a plan.

John W in SC

Moderator of the Universe jeanlouise's Avatar
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1532 Post(s)
    Those are interesting points BHG...has he written anything addressing what to do instead? I'd like to see a point by point article.

For instance: Myth #7 Focus on blocking his attacks.
    Many self-protection classes teach you to react to an attacker's actions. This defensive thinking can make you hesitate ("What is he going to do to me?"), lose focus (waiting to get hurt makes most people freeze), and ultimately be one step behind the attacker. In a threatening situation, don't worry about what he's doing; make him worry about what you're doing."

OK, so what are you supposed to do while he's slashing away with a knife? I know what everyone would say here, "take out your gun and plug him between the eyes". But, most women don't carry a gun for one reason or another. (Like they live in Maryland or Washington DC).

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    393 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeanlouise View Post
    Those are interesting points BHG...has he written anything addressing what to do instead? I'd like to see a point by point article.

For instance: Myth #7 Focus on blocking his attacks.
    Many self-protection classes teach you to react to an attacker's actions. This defensive thinking can make you hesitate ("What is he going to do to me?"), lose focus (waiting to get hurt makes most people freeze), and ultimately be one step behind the attacker. In a threatening situation, don't worry about what he's doing; make him worry about what you're doing."

OK, so what are you supposed to do while he's slashing away with a knife? I know what everyone would say here, "take out your gun and plug him between the eyes". But, most women don't carry a gun for one reason or another. (Like they live in Maryland or Washington DC).

I think the point is to take control of the situation by doing the unanticipated and keeping the BG off guard. It is not the best article in the world, but it is a perspective with some interesting points if you take it all down to what I just said in the previous sentence.

I have difficulty with all of it because I am always carrying. However, what happens if the gun gets knocked out of your hand or you don't have it at that point in time?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    393 Post(s)

When I was searching for this article, I was trying to find something that related to self-defense without guns, something a little softer for the more timid. I have all the standard female links in the posts in the private group, I wanted something a little different than the "Well Armed Woman", etc.

I did not turn up much other than this article. I guess it serves, somewhat, but I suspect this is the type of thing the average woman is given for a lesson in self defense.

I think there is far better information by just being a part of this forum, with or without guns. Otherwise, there are too many questions in the article that go unanswered.

Moderator of the Universe jeanlouise's Avatar
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1532 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawkgirl View Post
    I think the point is to take control of the situation by doing the unanticipated and keeping the BG off guard. It is not the best article in the world, but it is a perspective with some interesting points if you take it all down to what I just said in the previous sentence.

I have difficulty with all of it because I am always carrying. However, what happens if the gun gets knocked out of your hand or you don't have it at that point in time?

Yes, I agree. I just wish he had given some examples of what to do...not just that it should be done. Kind of leaves everyone hanging...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    All myths about self defence are interesting .......

Unrepentant chocoholic ShooterGranny's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    426 Post(s)
    "Hell hath no fury like a woman..." paraphrased and shortened from a William Congreve play.

Football: The best defense is a good offense.

In Richard Williams' books he emphasizes over and over that "defense" is not going to win the fight. You must immediately become the aggressor - go on the offense.

For a small example look up Hammer's post about his wife and the fox.
    http://www.personaldefenseforum.net/...highlight=wife

She got MAD!
    If you think changes need to be made - get out and DO SOMETHING positive!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    I don't really see why the article was included in the "magazine" at all. It's so vague as to be nearly useless and he gets some key points wrong. For instance:

1. OK
    2. OK
    "Myth #3 You need to cause pain.
    In order to be 100 percent effective, we have to discard the notion of pain as a useful tool in violence. You don't want to "hurt" him; you need to injure him. Anything you do in a violent, life-threatening situation that does not cause an injury is worthless to you."

Nothing is 100% effective (well, hardly anything). Pain can be a useful tool and you indeed may want to hurt him if for no other reason than to set him up for the follow up debilitating move. Not worthless at all.
    "Myth #4 Being fit can save your life.
    No matter how fit or strong you are, the best way to hone your self-protection skills is to focus on targeting key points of the body. After that, improving your fitness level can increase the force you deliver to the targets."

His argument doesn't really fit the heading.
    Yes it's true that your best approach is to target critical points but you have to survive the initial attack and that means blocking, parrying, or moving out of the way. Moving quickly backward out of reach or inside the arc of a strike to gain control is a function of fitness. So yes, it can save your life.

"Myth #5 You need technical self-defense skills.
    Technique without injury is only a cool trick, and injury, regardless of how it occurred (with technique or by accident), will always be more effective. It's not important how the injury happens, only that it happens. His ribs don't know if they were broken by a boot, a stick, or a curb; they just know they're broken. All you need is force and a target."

Again a somewhat deceptive heading. I agree that technique without injury is meaningless but the entire reason for technique is to deliver that injury (or pain) effectively. A leverage to the arm that allows you to slam your assailant's kidneys into the curb is technique, as is running his face into a wall.

"Myth #6 Women who survive are fearless. [This is OK]
    The first effect in any violent situation is emotion, and the most common one is fear. When a man steps in front of you holding a knife, your adrenaline starts pumping and your heart beats faster. These are reactions that can't be avoided—nor should they be. It's the fight-or-flight survival instinct that allows you to focus on beating your enemy or getting the hell out of there."

"Many people fear they will freeze up or act irrationally. When you know how to respond, you'll still feel a certain amount of fear that you could be hurt, or that you're about to cause harm to another human being, but that will be tempered with confidence."

"Myth #7 Focus on blocking his attacks.

An incomplete discussion. If properly trained, a block or parry is like drawing from a holster; it's a conditioned response. When learning, a student may indeed focus on the blocks to isolate them for improvement but they are merely one element of the defense and not the end goal.

"Myth #8 Try to back away from your attacker.
    In life-threatening conflict, if you're not injuring someone, you're getting injured. Backing up or attempting to counter his "technique" with another technique (as is typically taught in self-defense classes) only gets you in more trouble: Your body is a lot better at going forward than it is at going backward; for every two feet you move backward, he can move forward three feet."
    If you can get out of the situation by simply backing away that is the optimal course. In a close range attack however this author is correct. However, that doesn't mean that it is the wrong thing to do. There are many times when it is advisable to just step back to throw off the attacker's timing and to set him up for your own debilitating technique. This can be especially useful in knife attacks.

"Myth #9 Hit as often and as quickly as possible. [Isn't this how Spetsnaz trains?]
    Punching and kicking are akin to slapping an attacker around. If you're in danger, you need to throw all your weight into a single target, or "strike." Imagine you're facing a giant predator and you have a big sack full of rocks. Throw a single rock and "ouch!" is the only reaction you're likely to get. But swing the entire sack at him, hitting him in the head, and he'll be out cold. That's the difference between punching and striking."
    This is very incomplete and a stupid analogy. Punching and striking; punching is a form of striking and they come in several different forms which are useful for different purposes depending on how you want the attacker to react.Some can be very powerful. Also, the author mentions specific targets but then gives no specifics. I recommend shins, groin, knees, eyes, ears, and especially the throat. Kidneys are good but not necessarily fight enders. They are used in combination with other targets. There are a bunch more that are useful if the defender knows how to use them.