Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Women's Health - 9 Myths About Self Protection, Self Defense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    OK, I did a bit of research into the author, Tim Larkin, and he appears to actually be legit. Based on the short video I saw he seems to know what he's talking about. I don't know why none of that quality showed up in the Women's Health article unless it was some editor.. Here is his site: https://targetfocustraining.com/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    270 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeanlouise View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Those are interesting points BHG...has he written anything addressing what to do instead? I'd like to see a point by point article.

For instance: Myth #7 Focus on blocking his attacks.
    Many self-protection classes teach you to react to an attacker's actions. This defensive thinking can make you hesitate ("What is he going to do to me?"), lose focus (waiting to get hurt makes most people freeze), and ultimately be one step behind the attacker. In a threatening situation, don't worry about what he's doing; make him worry about what you're doing."

OK, so what are you supposed to do while he's slashing away with a knife? I know what everyone would say here, "take out your gun and plug him between the eyes". But, most women don't carry a gun for one reason or another. (Like they live in Maryland or Washington DC).
    I agree. He doesnít give a lot of what to do just what not to do. Ok, donít focus on causing pain, focus on injuring but how and where.

I also didnít like how he seems to discount being fit and taking self-defense classes. I get that he is saying you donít have to be an expert in self-defense and in great shape to defend yourself, but neither will hurt either. I just fear some women would read this as why bother learning any kind of self-defense because they teach the wrong thing and I donít need it, which I think is the wrong message.

Many self-protection classes teach you to react to an attacker's actions. This defensive thinking can make you hesitate ("What is he going to do to me?"), lose focus (waiting to get hurt makes most people freeze), and ultimately be one step behind the attacker.
    Backing up or attempting to counter his "technique" with another technique (as is typically taught in self-defense classes) only gets you in more trouble
    "Itís the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen George S. Patton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for sharing link, i m also sharing some myths like NEVER WALK AROUND WITH YOUR HANDS IN YOUR POCKETS, DONíT GET EYE CONTACT WITH AN ATTACKER and YOU NEED TO KNOW TWO OR THREE DIFFERENT COUNTERS TO EACH TYPE OF ATTACKING TECHNIQUE.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    503 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ondrejmatej View Post
    Thanks for sharing link, i m also sharing some myths like NEVER WALK AROUND WITH YOUR HANDS IN YOUR POCKETS, DON’T GET EYE CONTACT WITH AN ATTACKER and YOU NEED TO KNOW TWO OR THREE DIFFERENT COUNTERS TO EACH TYPE OF ATTACKING TECHNIQUE.
    Why is it okay to walk around with your hands in your pockets? I thought it was just good sense to not keep your hands in your pockets.
    TANSTAAFL - "Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
    OldVet, 30 March 2018: "But being the agreeable sort, I agree."

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ondrejmatej View Post
    Thanks for sharing link, i m also sharing some myths like NEVER WALK AROUND WITH YOUR HANDS IN YOUR POCKETS, DON’T GET EYE CONTACT WITH AN ATTACKER and YOU NEED TO KNOW TWO OR THREE DIFFERENT COUNTERS TO EACH TYPE OF ATTACKING TECHNIQUE.
    Thanks for the reminder! I learned the first two as a little girl who had to walk to school in the city. We got real street smart real early.
    Contact your reps about restrictive gun laws->https://act.nraila.org/
    Lady Shooters! PM me if you would like to join a female private firearms sub-group!

Asst. Administrator DogWalksWithMe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    487 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GRCarry View Post
    Why is it okay to walk around with your hands in your pockets? I thought it was just good sense to not keep your hands in your pockets.
    Looks like he is struggling a bit with the English language. I think his grammar and his use of the word "myth" flipped his intended meaning.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1608 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GRCarry View Post
    My training instructors apparently lived to yell at me to take my hands out of my pockets. I never broke that habit. I often wondered why military uniforms even had pockets if you couldn't put things in them.
    Official Forum Curmudgeon Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.
    Tact: The skill of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My <snip> I often wondered why military uniforms even had pockets if you couldn't put things in them.

To keep instructors from yelling at you for important stuff...

;-)

John W in SC