Laugh Out Loud Laugh Out Loud:  0

Thread: New Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 scope!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

New Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 scope!

I've had a Rock River Operator 5.56 for several years, but have never put a scope on it. At my age, I really need one; open sights at more that 25 yards have passed me by, and 25 is a stretch. I didn't want expensive optics; this gun is mostly for casual shooting at 75 or 100 yards, and maybe an occasional visit to the 600 yard range to shoot at maybe 200.

I have been considering the Bushnell AR Optics 1-4 illuminated reticle. But after actually handling one and looking through it versus pictures on the internet, I wasn't as impressed with the reticle.

Today I stopped by my favorite LGS and brought home a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 illuminated reticle. I really like the reticle better than the Bushnell; the difference in person is more obvious than looking at internet pics. The Vortex reticle seemed to be better defined and the glass appeared to me to have superior clarity over the Bushnell. It also helped that a guy at the LGS that I have known, dealt with, and trusted for 40 years thought the Vortex was a much better scope than the Bushnell, and was high on it in general, especially for a sub $1,000 scope. I'm looking forward to getting it mounted and to the range.
    Last edited by BamaT; September 1st, 2017 at 12:21 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    I put one on my Noveske Carbine. You'll like the lighted reticle. I also added a third party throw lever to adjust the zoom easier.

For backup sights, I added a 45 degree mount with a Vortex Venom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

I’ve worked a ton of OT since I bought this scope, and just recently started to get a little break. Plus, my son has been out of state for several months, and we used to spend a lot of time together at the range. Between my work and my son being away, I have just recently gotten around to mounting the Vortex Strike Eagle. My son came home recently, and we spent a day at the range, and my Rock River/Vortex saw a lot of shooting. I have to say I really like this scope, and my son did as well. It’s not going to be a precision bench rest scope, but at 100 yards you could easily shoot 2” groups with most any bulk ammo, and using Frontier 55 gr. spire point and Match HP, I got a couple of 1” groups.

While my Vortex Strike Eagle is a 1-6x24, it now comes in a 1-8x24. It has generous eye relief, and the reticle is very clear, illuminated or not. It may be made in China, but Imthink this isn’t what most people think of with Chinese optics. Considering the performance and price I think anyone looking for an AR style scope that can also do duty for casual target shooting would do well to consider this scope.
    Last edited by BamaT; July 15th, 2018 at 10:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Primary Arms has a new 1-6x24 with the reticle on the Front Focal Plane (FFP) vs. the Vortex scopes being Second Focal Plane (SFP). I understand the difference in reticle behavior but do not have experience with scoped ARs. I have been using a red dot but my eyes aren't what they used to be. Would anyone with experience please shed light on choosing one over the other? I'm considering the PA or the Vortex scopes for an AR that I'll be using mostly as a range gun for punching paper and steel out to 200-300 yards.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men - St. Augustine